Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 V8 valve lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
It's probably been covered, I did do a search on here
and nothing came up, so if your looking for new
valve lifters Egge sells them for $144 a set.
The 374 uses the same lifter that Chrysler used later
in their 318 engine. Autozone $6.00 each or $98.00

Posted on: 2015/7/25 13:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 V8 valve lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, been covered and no, the Packard V8 lifters are not the same as the later Mopar 318" V8. Those Mopars use a 5/16" pushrod seat. The Packard pushrods are 1/4" balls.

The Mopar lifters will go in the hole and the Packard engine will run, but the pushrod and seat will wear faster.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/7/25 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
being an Egge retailer, I get them cheaper than that. Out of curiosity, what part number are you referencing for Autozone? I believe the 318 uses a larger seat.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 15:05
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, when using the Mopar 879 lifters, have you attempted to change the ball insert on the end of the pushrod for a correct fit?

Posted on: 2015/7/25 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Go look at the Packard Parts X-ref of this web site.

Not clear to me why the 5/16 seat (ASSUMUNG HYDRAULIC lifters) would cause any faster wear of the pushrod. Maybe solid lifters yes. But not hydraulic.
In 1997 and 30K miles ago i installed the (from my book) "mid-60's 318 MoPar lifters" No problems thus far after 30K miles.

SEE THE X-ref for further detailss in comment section.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 21:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From the X-ref comments:
" Packard V8 hydraulic
valve lifters: Melling JB
879 or SealedPower HT
879. DO NOT USE THE
2011 LIFTER !!!!!!!! I
have the JB879
installed in my 56
Executive. When i pulled
it apart there were 2
replacement types in
there that i have
reasons to believe came
from one of the major
suppliers. The 879
lifters are identicle to
the 2 replacements i
found in the engine
EXCEPT for the shape of
the pushrod seat. The
879 has apushrod seat
identicle to the factory
lifters that was in the
car."

Posted on: 2015/7/25 22:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not clear to me why the 5/16 seat (ASSUMUNG HYDRAULIC lifters) would cause any faster wear of the pushrod.

Because the ball end of the pushrod will be able to "walk" within the larger socket and all the stress on the ball and socket base will be concentrated in a smaller area. How significant this might be in terms of premature wear I don't know.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know. I've never tried an accurate measure of any oem lifter seat radius nor any oem push rod ball end radius. But i would highly suspect at least a .005" differencce in the radius between the ball end and the seat. Maybe more like .015".

OR, What is the trade off???? A repop no-name UNbranded lifter with a "1/4 inch" seat or a BRAND NAME lifter with a 5/16" seat. I don't know.

THe HYDRAULIC lifter should keep some pressure on the pushrod and thus pussh rod centered in the seat in the lifter anyway so why suspect much walking.

On top of that, everyone seems to think thay have to unconditionaly deck blocks and mill heaads thus changing the push rod angle anyway.

I suppose the real question is: Which trade offs are the mosst benficial???? Unless there are plenty of NOS or NORS lifters still available.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Go look at the Packard Parts X-ref of this web site.
Not clear to me why the 5/16 seat (ASSUMUNG HYDRAULIC lifters) would cause any faster wear of the pushrod. Maybe solid lifters yes. But not hydraulic.
In 1997 and 30K miles ago i installed the (from my book) "mid-60's 318 MoPar lifters" No problems thus far after 30K miles.

The OP referenced "the same lifter that Chrysler used later in their 318 engine." Well, sorta, but one has to define how much later and which 318".

The early Mopar lifters from the rare late '50s wide-block 318" and other '50s-early '60s are the same as the Packard. However, they're not available in most FLAPS. The difficulty comes when someone goes into a parts house and confidently states "gimme some 318" lifters" and gets the #2011s, which are the only commonly available 318" lifters.

The correct #879 lifter is still readily available from those who know the difference. Why go looking for trouble?

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/7/26 20:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, thanks for that clarification!

Posted on: 2015/7/26 22:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved