Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering gear arc of travel? 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Might someone know the degrees of steering gear travel for a '55? Would it be the same for 1951 to 1956?
The reason for my question is that I am thinking about adding power steering to my 55 by cutting the bottom off of the column on my Three-on-the-tree car & adding a flange for a more modern Saginaw box (Or anything else that may work)
By running the Packard/Eaton pump & brackets, things would still be fairly un offensive looking under the hood :)
My first step will be to find a compatible box and plan from there.
I presume that finding a column shift for a '56 with a separate box & column would be tough?
Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2015/8/7 12:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering gear arc of travel? 1955
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mike Dulinski might be able to supply both 56 pieces. Also, Packardsouthwest had quite a few assorted V8 items and might have the 56 setup.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 12:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I an curious as to why you want PS.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 7:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"I an curious as to why you want PS."
This beast is almost a daily driver & 26 turns lock-to-lock
gets old in a hurry! That could be an exaggeration but not by much :)

Posted on: 2015/8/8 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On your original question the geometry and minimum turning radius was very similar 51-6 so the degrees of travel should be too. The PS units were a slightly different ratio for less turns lock to lock. 55s had a 22.3 to 1 manual ratio, 18.2 on Clipper PS and 18.6 on the senior PS. In 56 manual stayed the same 22.3 but PS ratio changed to 16.4 on all.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 10:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The old degree wheel finally turned up and a quick look under the car provided a measurement of 75 degrees, give or take a couple. This is from lock to lock.
I happen to know that 65-70 Pontiacs as well as 67-81 Firebird/Camaros are the same so I will give some thought to adapting one of these boxes to the frame, column & pitman arm.
It should be MUCH easier to steer, shift & hold that slurpee while negotiating parking lots

Posted on: 2015/9/12 14:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
t should be MUCH easier to steer, shift & hold that slurpee while negotiating parking lots

As long as you keep it in the parking lot. The way the CHP is cracking down on distracted driving here, if yours are doing the same you might get away with steering and maybe shifting on the road at the same time. If they caught you sipping the slurpee -- or on the phone and worse yet, texting while doing the other, that would probably be a hanging offense.

Are you thinking of something like the all in one Saginaw type boxes? Downside there is you have the long steering column lower attachment to think about on a 55 or else find a 56 setup. I wonder how hard it would be to gut and keep a basic Packard box for mounts and bearings etc but replace the shaft and extend it to do a rack and pinion PS. There is an ebay vendor that keeps showing some kind of power rack assy. He says it fits a Packard but haven't seen any photos or know of anyone who has actually used that approach.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 15:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved