Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Todd W. White, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 Valve Adjustment setting tool needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Good morning all.... i know I've seen this explained here before but was unsuccessful in finding it with the search function. So guidance please...

My good friend in France who does not speak english and therefore does not benefit from Packardinfo is completing the reassembly of his 356 engine. There is the specification for setting the valves, and I believe I recall discussion of a gauge and that the gauge is a setting block tool or something that is available to purchase?

Please advise and thank you.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 8:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 356 Valve Adjustment setting tool needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
sent you pm

Posted on: 2015/8/15 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
P.N.R. has been the source for the gauge block for many years, though I haven't see their advertisement recently. If you look to borrow one be sure to specify it's for a 356, the 327/359 gauge block is entirely different. Essentially, with the cam lobe down, you replace the hydraulic plunger assembly with the gauge block and if needed, grind the end of the valve stem to give a clearance of between 0.030" and 0.070".

Years back I reproduced these and sold them for a while, and later took to loaning them out to folks but so few folks returned them I've stopped the practice - I had hoped for better from my fellow hobbyists.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
As Owen mentioned, Pacific Northwest Packards.

Pacific NW Packards Projects

Posted on: 2015/8/15 12:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Thank you for the link, and prompt replies. Hopefully this thread will be found by the next guy looking.

Also note the power of Packardinfo, the above PM note regarded passing along the gauge block noted. Pay it forward, as someone said....

All good here.

DAF

Posted on: 2015/8/15 16:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved