Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

HH56, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Packard Proving Grounds Open House
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

It seems like a good cause, not one of those that only enrich the privleged few running the show, but one problem may be that some of us po' working class types don't have much to go around - even less after the recent stock makret crash(es).

Yet, perhaps if we knew how much the Foundation was off from their goal and when it was due, maybe some of us could pitch in a few bucks between now and then.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I have an early original 400 with the non gold color grille backings. You can still see some of the gold coloring on the top of my hood emblem. I have never seen a new in the box chrome topped hood emblem. Anyone having a photo of a new original non restored hood emblem with packaging, it would be nice to post a photo so we can all see that there was more than one version.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have one with the packing, but my 56 Carib appears to have the all-chrome with cloisonne (NOT anodized aluminum) shield. I've looked at it very closely to see if just the gold wash wore off, but I don't believe so. It's a one-owner car when I bought it 11 years ago. It's a bit strange in that its got a mid-range thief-proof number, a late (#254) car number, a quite early Utica numbered engine, and late Utica-numbered transmission, both with correct Utica codes for the Caribbean. It has Bendix steering, generally correct for Seniors but not always found. Single door-jam switches, gold anodized grille backing, the late replacement Delco distributor, and the last style oil pump, though that could have been changed.

Not sure what all of that means, though I've been trying to collect that kind of data from other 56 Caribbean convertible owners (without much success) for some time.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Packards1,

The article from 1987, "All the Caribbeans," is one of the most informative articles I have seen published. It sites materials provided by Roscoe Stelford and analyzed by George Hamlin prior to publishing. This article published by PAC certainly leads one to believe that there could have been more than one version.

Like Owen, mine is chrome with the cloissone center. It is fairly late in the run (240) and does not appear to have ever been restored. My Carib came with an extensive history which included about 20 years of storage and no knowledge of prior restoration.

I recommend this article to anyone interested in some of the many variations that came on these cars.

Regards,
Robert

Posted on: 2008/10/20 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I spent the week of Hershey with Roscoe. I'll call him and see what he has to say.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Wish I could have been there this year. The driver's side marker light chrome strip I purchased from you last year is on my carib now and looks great.

I look forward to your future post.

Robert.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think it's pretty well accepted that there were 3 different crests used, I've actually seen all 3 (though again, not with the original packing). I suppose there could have been supplier problems but if not, you wonder what was going on; with all the problems Packard had in 1956, you'd think they could have found better things to do with their resources.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Owen -

Yet, perhaps if we knew how much the Foundation was off from their goal and when it was due, maybe some of us could pitch in a few bucks between now and then.

Owen, I have been procrastinating but will at some point make a donation as I do also love Packards and want to see some vistage of the corporate infastructure preserved and the PPG is the perfect place. I commend the dedicated people who have worked so hard to preserve this historic ground and hope to visit this site someday. It is sort of our Mecca isn't it?

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
cipper47 you got a PM back.

i should have been more specific...only 3 have the glass intact and 1 has a small chip. the 4th one is missing the glass completely and is damaged. i have the two good ones on the wall in the study the others in a box in the attic.

i have alot of other stuff on the walls too. some 120 hubcaps, Studebaker caps, grille off a 400 i think, big HUGE photo of a packard that my aunt bought for my grandfather's birthday off the wall of macy's. they didn't want to sell it to her, but money talks.... i will start another post with pics of the stuff in my office.

sorry ;0)

hank

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Both of my 5672 hood emblems are Chrome and NON-magnetic with a type of a red platic coating at the 4 quadrants of the shield.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved