Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

JW49, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Hunting Spears ??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hooberitz
See User information

Posted on: 2015/9/1 11:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Hunting Spears ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Typical beltline chrome strip pieces. Usually the frontmost piece. A Packard styling "trademark" thing like the hood ornaments.

Pix:
https://www.google.com/search?q=1951+packard&tbm=isch&imgil=nIz8hzeW-mes-M%253A%253B4Gq-bYJHDEDRAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.conceptcarz.com%25252Fvehicle%25252Fz10515%25252FPackard-Patrician-400.aspx&source=iu&pf=m&fir=nIz8hzeW-mes-M%253A%252C4Gq-bYJHDEDRAM%252C_&biw=1061&bih=641&usg=__cF-innnaN7l5bJfvU_UvX7MMfio%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCN3ot6Si1scCFQaqgAodixQNrA&ei=5dPlVZ3iM4bUggSLqbTgCg#imgrc=nIz8hzeW-mes-M%3A&usg=__cF-innnaN7l5bJfvU_UvX7MMfio%3D

Posted on: 2015/9/1 11:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Hooberitz

The unmentioned genius of Packard Styling was Werner Gubitz. He started out doing renderings for LeBaron, I believe , and migrated to Packard. He was responsible for the details and styling integration that kept Packards looking like Packards. He retired just after the, war at the age of 47 (!), with results well know to us.
The barb on the hood was a detail he borrowed from Hibbard and Darrin in Paris, inverting it to muddy the provenance.

I have attached a picture, lets see if I did it correctly

Regards

John Harley

Attach file:

jpg  (19.04 KB)
1196_55e627a831129.jpg 400X270 px

Posted on: 2015/9/1 17:35
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hooberitz
See User information
Thank you for the stylistic information. I was actually more concerned about being on the wrong end of a Packard Hunting Spear. I have reviewed all of the parts and accessories lists on this site, and do not see them. As I often travel in late night Packard hunting parties, I sure think I need to know more about these.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 9:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess you missed them, plenty of pictures of the "spear" in the 1948-1954 Parts List, in particular Plates 13, 14 & 15. For late-night Packard hunting, I'd recommend a flashlight over a spear! Or a neighborhood kid, they (like us when we were younger) always seem to know where the old iron is resting.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 10:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
To be honest, a flashlight alone just won't cut it these days. Case in point... When going directly to the factory to pick up spares one would be benefited in having a flashlight, let's face it those old incondecent lights aren't very efficient anymore. But things are rough at the sight of East Grand Blvd. and one would be well served to only visit with a Packard hunting spear. That said, I'd never recommend a nighttime visit to the factory with or without a Packard hunting spear. I should think someone on the site would buy and distribute them for a moderate margin of profit. It looks like a great opportunity!

Happy hunting!

Posted on: 2015/9/3 17:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oh, so that's the kind of hunting that was under consideration - sorry I missed the point.

BTW, it's incandescent.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 17:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved