Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Alot of interest by old car enthusiasts about the old vs new gas. When their cars don't run they often rationalize and blame the modern gas. lack of lead, or other additives, etc. Gee, my old LaSalle ran great...
I don't worry about the past but look to the future, something I can influence.
Here's one side of the EPA ethanol regs. From what I understand currently, cellulosic can't happen because there's insufficient US capacity and EPA has curtailed their numbers.
Decadal general trend, vapor pressure of gas has been reduced to reduce "smog" producing hydrocarbon emissions from evaporation. Not increased as most suspect. They used low boiling hydrocarbons in the past to control cold start and make winter blends. Of course, the carcinogen BENZENE was in the first gasoline. It's still in there just much less.
Ethanol was introduced during Clinton EPA when someone had a leak in an UST in CA of MBTE blended gas, which was the oxygenate standard at that time. Oxygenates(MTBE) in gas came first after lead was phased out to promote "cleaner" burning - whatever that is - less CO. MTBE extracts with water and polluted some drinking wells. Ethanol will do the same thing, but ADM won the political battle over the "bad" oil companies. But hey, it's much better to get drunk drinking the polluted water isn't it?
Have fun!
http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Policy/Fuels-and-Renewables/NERA_FINAL_API_RFS2_July27.pdf

Posted on: 2015/9/10 9:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think it only equitable that so-called renewables be produced in the state where they are consumed. So for a state like California they would be forced to grow their own corn to be wasted in car motors rather than as valuable food for everybody on welfare in California. Corn uses a lot of water and California is suffering from a water shortage. Let them figure it out.

On thing seems consistent: Authority and power are always placed in the hands of those least worthy of possession. The EPA is just an insane asylum created by a Federal Government that takes a dim view of sanity and responsible taxpayers.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I thouroughly detest today's swill called gasoline, its purely because of political and economic reasons - it simply defies common sense. But I've never had performance problems with either Packard that I could attribute to E10 gasoline. Granted I don't drive at altitudes greater than a few thousand feet, but I do drive in plenty of hot weather, not as hot as AZ but certainly in the middle to high 90s, and crawl along in July 4th parades and the occasional traffic jam in the same temperatures, and do plenty of reasonably long distance tours. The only changes I've made for this fuel are rebuilt fuel pumps and rubber fuel pump inlet hoses.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 12:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved