Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Why were running boards phased out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Running boards are still around ...

Attach file:

jpg  (32.23 KB)
757_564fc77c10480.jpg 306X401 px

Posted on: 2015/11/20 20:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another factor was the lowering of the body height, specifically from the road to the floor boards. Measure that on a 32-34 car and then again on a Clipper and I bet you have a 6 inch difference. Entrance into a pre-35 car is a high step up.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Rethinking this, maybe the floor features on the 41-47 Clippers and 48-50 Packards would be better described as wide thresholds rather than quasi running boards since they were inside the body.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/21 10:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I guess I did not make myself clear...

Quote:
Rethinking this,...

John (JW), relax. You expressed your approach ("...covered by the bottom of the doors. They were rubber covered...") in a way which everyone can understand.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.79 KB)
757_565098acc5221.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2015/11/21 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Runningboards were rendered obsolete primarily by greatly improved roads that no longer required high ground clearances. Considerable mileage in new paved roads spread out across the country in those first decades of the 20th Century connecting cities and small towns.

As Dave notes, the lowered construction methods between the '41 Clipper and a Packard of 6-7 years prior is striking. It was evolutionary, through the '34 Chrysler Airflow, '36 Lincoln Zephyr and Cord 810/812, '38 Cadillac 60 Special, every carmaker was there or nearly so by 1940-42.

Postwar, runningboards were the province of commercial vehicles, trucks and that handful of cars of state, where the occupants needed security protection.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/11/21 11:48
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to put a number to it, from the ground to the floor board of a '34 Eight sedan is about 19? inches; that's a high step w/o a running board. I don't have a '41 Clipper or later model handy to measure but expect it would be about 10-11 inches.

Posted on: 2015/11/21 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Another factor was the lowering of the body height, specifically from the road to the floor boards...[O_D]

Click to see original Image in a new window

image source: doc24.ru

Posted on: 2015/11/22 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Interesting how perception changed through the years. My '10 SRX's sill is around 17 inches up front, slightly more for rear seat. This in a mid-sized crossover rather than full-sized body-on-frame SUV or pick-up. My in-laws had a '98 Ford F-150 with no running boards that required one hoist himself way up yet my short mother-in-law in her 70's did so without complaint.

Maybe folks back in the day had simply gotten used to running boards and weren't ready to give them up so quickly.

Getting in/out of a '38 Super Eight and '33 Pierce-Arrow 836, the boards were completely in the way and not necessary. But my 10 year old would appreciate them as she did several years ago getting into a 138-CD.

Material cost savings, while not a functional reason to delete, was surely a welcome change within the finance department.

Posted on: 2015/11/23 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As cars got lower and bodies got wider running boards became less of a necessity and more of a nuisance.

Some sporty bodies of the twenties dispensed with running boards but had step plates instead, to help you climb up into the car. By the forties this was no longer necessary. In 1948 Hudson introduced their 'step down' models, you didn't step up into them, you stepped down.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 23:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved