Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

Don B, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dash & Oil line on a 1932 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Ahh I see the light - a choke cable forgot about that. It looks like the choke cable must go down in the slot in the board that is between the inner & outer firewall. How does the speedometer cable exit the interior cabin?

Again Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Marston,

The speedometer cable exits by the slot in the floor board, and loops back to the transmission.

The choke cable exits thru a hole in the firewall.

The fifth picture I posted shows the choke cable exiting the cabin via this hole.

Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/10 16:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The speedometer cable exits by the slot in the floor board, and loops back to the transmission.

Essentially the same as my '34, the speedo cable exits the cabin at the far right of the passenger side, right where the carpet meets and cowl panel and the kick panel.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
The first picture shows the speedometer cable exiting, it's just in back of the exhaust pipe.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave & Dave,

Thanks for the extra bit of clarification. I think that I have a pretty good grasp of what I need to do. I've looked through all of the parts boxes that came with the car, but it appears that I'm missing the choke cable.

Since the car was modified for a downdraft carb. I'm thinking that routing the cable down inside the firewall and bring it out at the bottom of the firewall doesn't make sense. O-D do you remember how the choke on your '34 is routed to the carb?

Oh well the weekend is over and I'm going to go to work a few
hours on Monday. So the project will have to wait until then.

Hope you two have a great week.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 18:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
33 began and 34 continued the use of the Stromberg Model C automatic choke so no cable used.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

thanks again. I can't say enough about the support I've received from this web site and especially you.

Interesting. Guess I should check to see what type carb. I've got on the beast. Problem may be solved, which would make it the easiest thing I fixed on the car.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll guess that the carburetor is the smaller (1-3/32) venturi EE-22 as used on the '33 and '34 Eights. I'll further guess that if you have the factory update kit to downdraft it uses the new for 1933 intake and exhaust manifolds which accept the Stromberg automatic choke.

Never took note of the details of the factory kit (never actually seen one or a list of components) but this seems the logical way to have done it. I'm guessing the kit included both manifolds, intake manifold drain assembly, new exhaust header pipe, carburetor and automatic choke and linkages, air filter and support bracket, and a new pump to carburetor fuel line.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've been following this, but I don't understand what the issues are.

1932 motors were solid mount and there was no need for a flexible oil line. 1933 did not use the rubber line. That doesn't mean they didn't update, only that I have dealt with original cars that didn't have it.

Carburetor linkage is illustrated in the attached photo. As you can see it does not have the flexible line. As well there is a little clip that holds it to the firewall (visible behind the cylinder head in this picture).

902 wiring is shown in the second photo.

The exhaust system for 1933 is completely different from 32 and 34. It crosses from right to left in front of the gas tank.

I've never seen a car with a genuine downdraft conversion as mentioned in the service letters so I have no idea what they did with the throttle bar, the exhaust pipe, nor the choke cable. I know of one car that got one to disguise that it had a 1931 engine so I would check the motor number.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.48 KB)
373_569422ba2e540.jpg 600X443 px

jpg  (33.43 KB)
373_569433d83389a.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2016/1/11 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Tim,

Thanks for the photos. The previous person that had worked on the project had incorrectly installed the linkage on the choke to throttle and that the carburetor was missing the fast idle stop weight and screw. The screw hole for the fast idle stop weight had been taped when he painted it and the screw hole was not visible.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 19:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved