Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 240

HH56, dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

correct ends for 33 spark plug wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
What were the original wire ends like that connected under the screwed on nuts on the spark plugs. Restoration supply co. has a page with several ends, any look close. Thanks Dell

Posted on: 2016/1/18 17:21

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: correct ends for 33 spark plug wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I didn't look at the Restoration Supply pages, but they should be knurled and nickel-plated thumb screws, smaller than the ones used in the earlier series. Wire ends are brass eyelets, both ends. Wires should be rubber and covered in gray lacquered cloth (see purchasing spec. attached). Not sure my thumb screws are 100% correct but see the pix. I have a pix somewhere of the eyelet, will post if I can find it but it's about the same OD as the lower flange on the thumb screw, that is, none of it protrudes beyond the thumb screw.

Attach file:

jpg  (179.16 KB)
177_569d72dfdd0fa.jpg 987X1280 px

jpg  (32.48 KB)
177_569d7354be706.jpg 1280X831 px

jpg  (67.87 KB)
177_569e5f889268d.jpg 869X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/1/18 18:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PS - I didn't realize I had this Packard print until I found it looking for something else; it shows eyelet detail and method of assembling. The half of the print not shown just gives the wire lengths for the individual cylinders.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.77 KB)
177_569f96cd345bd.jpg 840X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/1/20 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Eyelets where plated Nickel.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Eyelets where plated Nickel.

Have you found a source for the correct style eyelets, nickel plated or otherwise?

Posted on: 2016/1/20 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
EYELETS were
Cole's Ignition & Manufacturing
52 Legionnaire Drive
Rochester, NY 14617
Phone: (585) 342-9613
BUT as far as i know hes not doing it any longer. Believe someone pick up the tooling or leftovers and where selling but dont have a line on them. Maybe a call to the COLE Ph. would get u there.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 13:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't see a dimension so no idea of the size needed but wonder if a standard nickel plated brass eyelet commonly used for reinforcing holes in various items could be installed within a circle of wire -- if needed maybe wire could be soldered to retain shape while the eyelet was compressed. If it could be used McMaster has several different sized eyelets and maybe one is close. Here is one example.http://www.mcmaster.com/#86625k31/=10rluus

Posted on: 2016/1/20 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard thanks for thinking about it; I think the eyelet itself poses no problems with sourcing, it's the integral "cup" for the wire end that prompted me to ask the question - was not able to find anything like that when I made up my wire set.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Worth a shot but sorry there was no cigar today.

The only readily available cup shape I can think of would be an electrical terminal washer but those are brass, have squared edges and are a bit heavier so obviously no go.

How important is the cup shape? Do judges actually take the wire off to check? If so and no one repros anymore wonder if a cup shaped anvil could be turned to use while installing. Maybe compress something like two nesting sizes of standard eyelets so it would resemble the more circular two piece cup shape when finished.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Orig and repro EYELET had a prong that drove into the center of the Cable which kped it on center of the cable.

EYELET is hard to c after the Thumb Nut is down on it. Made a set by just rolling the wire and a little solder then a washer under. Lked OK.

Boot can b made by using heavy wall Shrink Tubing.

SP Wire lengths r called out in the PARTS BOOK

If u kp ur eyes open on ebay u can find Auto-Lite STEELDUCTOR Same steelgray wire that was used on 33-39 PACKARDs.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 15:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved