Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

I need some serious advice about buying a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I'm hoping a few forum members will weigh in on my request for advice about buying a Packard. OK, let me lay out my circumstances and goal.

First, I'm a high school special education teacher who makes about $48,000/year, before taxes, living expenses, and those incidental expenses all of us, regardless of income, are beset by on a daily basis. So, my access to what could be characterized as "liquid income," is marginal at best. I'm divulging that personal info so those who chose to respond will understand my position relative to what can be a very costly hobby.

Second, I'm going to have to do some serious saving to offset how much money I'll need to borrow to buy a Packard.

Third, this will be the one and only Packard I will ever buy.

Fourth, I'd like a car that is a reliable driver.

Fifth, I don't have to have a Packard that is competition level. I'd gladly take a survivor that is in decent shape or is an older restoration.

Sixth, I have my heart set on either a 1936, '37, or '38 Packard 120 coupe.

Seventh, given all the aforementioned and the financial resources available to me, what could I reasonably expect to pay for a Packard that meets my criteria? I will say this, I wouldn't be adverse to a 1936-1938 Packard 120 coupe in need of modest work, providing I could get the car for the right price.

There was a guy in Florida who had 1938 Packard 120 coupe survivor and reliable driver for $12,500. However, it needed new running board rubber covers, new radio, new clock, and new horn. That would have been ideal, but it was sold.

Thank you in advance for any advice/guidance you may offer.
as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/21 21:36
 Top  Print   

Re: I need some serious advice about buying a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
first off, I admire you chosen career. My daughter is in her first year teaching special needs and loves it. I have a couple of her higher functioning students that loves to help out in the shop on Packards.

Your expectation is not far fetched but you may need to be patient for the right deal to come along. 120s are frequently available and range in price and levels of work needed.

Keep your eyes peeled and may of us on here will do the same and give you some leads we find.

You picked a nice car to be your one and only.

T

Posted on: 2016/2/21 21:43
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I think 10 - 15K is the right area to be looking. I paid 13.5 for my '37 120 1092 - original survivor down to the running board rubber and roof insert. Needs new flooring, some paint attention, and a few other details.

I would STRONGLY recommend saving until you can pay cash. Just my personnel preference. It also seems like it will be a buyers market going forward. I'm a young guy (34) and I'm typically the youngest guy at car shows by 15-25 years.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 21:46
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information

Posted on: 2016/2/21 22:12
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Pay cash. I believe I have posted on this before. Body work, rust, body work, rust. Many mechanical items you may be able to do yourself, you can live with marginal interior until you can afford to fix. Paint you can live with. Body work and fixing rust needs a very competent, honest professional person. It is worth it to pay someone to completely inspect the car especially for body work and rust. Just a bit of body work and rust can very quickly have you paying more than you paid for the car, and maybe doing a second time. These cars need continual tinkering that alone will keep you busy enough.
And this inspection person should be able to inform you if all components are correct for that year and model. If the components are not correct it will severely diminish the value, and put a big hole in your pocket book to find the correct parts and install correctly.
As stated before have patience, it will happen. What's the old saying, measure twice, cut once.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 1:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I suggest you add 39, as the 38 and 39 cars are very similar in appearance.
The earlier three window coupes are generally more desireable, and therefore more expensive, than 5 window coupes.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from all of the above. I would like to add some more thoughts.

Do you have a place to keep the Packard? Having it parked outside and trying to work on it in the driveway will not do you or the car any good. It needs to be in a garage.

Some basic mechanical skills are needed to understand and perform maintenance, service, and repair jobs.

Also, it takes tools and equipment to keep one of these Packards running. A good set of hand tools is a must. Service and parts manuals are a must. Fortunately, many of them are available here for free downloading.

Join your local Packard region and national clubs. Members are knowledgeable and willing to share advice and assistance. Also, you will have the inside track on cars coming up for sale.

Buy the very best car you can afford. It is less expensive to buy one with work already done, especially body and interior.

Just some more things to consider when acquiring a Packard.

Good luck.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/22 11:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Go to this thread
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12534&forum=8

and at the bottom of the page, mark it to notify you whenever there is a new post. You'll get some ideas of price and condition that way over time, too, on lots of different Packards.

Joe

Posted on: 2016/2/22 14:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Buy the best condition car you can afford. In the long run, it will be cheaper for the average person.

For just about any car (except a Twelve), these are the most expensive things to set right in order from expensive to least:

1) Paint and Body (chrome excluded)
2) Interior (close 2nd, sometimes number 1)
3) Chrome Work
4) Engine

Basically, my point is that engine & mechanicals are cheaper to get sorted, than is a rough body or rough interior, for the average person.

Now, if you have body/paint skills, or upholstery skills, or a close friend/family member that can cut you a sweetheart deal. Then that, of course, is different.

Only exception to this would be a Twelve that is extremely expensive to rebuild.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 15:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

All good advice given, here's my further two cents:

"Sixth, I have my heart set on either a 1936, '37, or '38 Packard 120 coupe."

After years of personally having a "heart set upon a..." and being disappointed that the particular models kept jumping in price beyond my reach, I came to the conclusion I'd denied myself the experience of Packard ownership to no good end. At that point, I started to open my mind to a range of acceptable years and models within various prices ranges. No Packard yet but far less frustrating.

With this in mind, I'd recommend you enlarge your acceptable list to include all Six and 120 closed models from 1937-1942. Coupes and convertibles tend to run to the higher priced side while perfectly enjoyable, realistically sedans go begging.

Limited financial resources demand careful selection of the best car you can find for the price. The confluence of year, model, body style, condition and price narrow quickly when only a '36-'38 120 coupe is acceptable. Such restriction could cause you to miss an good '40 120 sedan that could provide many enjoyable Packard ownership experiences for you and your family.

Join a Packard club and your local region, attend both National meets and regional gatherings, meet the folks. Contacts within the club frequently turn up an acceptable car that is never advertised.

Oh yes, check Various CL Pickings here frequently. We try to highlight cars that need new, appreciative owners, sometimes priced very reasonably. Although CL advertisers tend to be very optimistic to the point of unrealistic on price, those who are truly interested in selling will deal.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:54
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved