Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 222

DM37, 37Blanche, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: I need some serious advice about buying a Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I started on my car...I had never done any of this kind of work before. I just took my time and worked through every problem as it came up. It's really going through one system at a time. Take it apart, rebuild/fix it and put it back on the car. The biggest mistake people make is taking a car fully apart. That's how things get lost, misplaced, mislabeled, and soon becomes an overwhelming project to put back together. Which leads to a basket case car being sold later. I shudder when I see someone working on a car and there are coffee cans full of mixed up fasteners.

Also, a disassembled car takes up 10x the space of an assembles car. Invest in boxes of ziplock bags (different sizes) and sharpy markers. Every piece of trim I took off the car, I wrote on the backside with a marker to it's location. This made putting it back on the car years later much easier.

Pretty much all of the knowledge needed to work pretty much any Packard is here on the website between all the scanner information and tribal knowledge between all the users here.

All in all, I have less that $8,000 into my car. Because I was willing to learn and do as much of the work as I could, and I had a lot of lucky breaks and help from people here on the website. Remember, it's the work you farm out to other people that gets expensive, the stuff you do is all sweat equity.

My car is still a work in progress and took my nearly 10 years to get where it is now. Remember, a small steady stream can cut a deep canyon given enough time. My car was passed on multiple times by people as being unrestorable. Because it would taken $30,000 worth of parts and labor (mostly labor) at a resto shop to have a $12-$15 car.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 11:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Garrett, if you have your mind set on a prewar packard, I wouldn't settle for a post war. There are enough 1935-1942 junior packards available at any giving time, be patient and like Ken said put a little $$ aside on a regular base and when the right one pops up you're ready. And asking price is seldom the selling price!

Posted on: 2016/2/23 11:44
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

See, we're not letting you give up on pre-war Packard ownership! Where there's a will, there's a way!

I did want to add my endorsement of the "Pay Cash" advice issued earlier. Many borrow to buy collector cars now, which may work for them but remember those interest dollars you'd be paying for the use of the bank's money is just that much less you can put directly into the car. Saving should be thought of as time/interest you pay yourself deferring purchase until which time the car can be bought mortgage feel. Make sense?

Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/23 13:15
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The same logic applies to buying new cars - save until you have the money to pay cash. You collect interest on your car money instead of paying it to someone else.

Borrowing money for a discretionary purchase is not a good idea.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Beautiful advice. Something I had never considered. Your response is what makes this forum such a treasure trove. Thank you.
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Remember all the advise you are getting is really not Packard specific. It applies to any classic car for the most part. I bought my car when I was 18 and new nothing about cars. Working on the Packard thought me so much about cars and gave me the confidence to work on newer cars. This is a hobby and being on a budget will probably postpone any repairs but use the time to learn and you will be better for it. You will be surprised how much you learn and how many repairs you will be able to make with some basic tools and studying the repair manual. It takes time but well worth it.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You're third condition is one to really think over.
a)If one could go out and buy a brand new '37 coupe, I'd agree, keep it forever, but that's not reality nor "affordable" for a fully restored.
b)Another way to get what you want is trade up the food chain over time. But you have to know the sales game/classic market.
c)It's also hard to do/control. I can stop at one drink... You get something and it's not "right" or something goes(to be expected) and next thing you know, you're talking parts car(s), tools, space, etc.
Although I prefer the prewar styling, my "problem" with owning is the wood. Wood doesn't survive as well as steel. I better fixing steel than wood. eg; I looked at a "reasonable" '36 coupe and the trunk frame wood was damaged and the "long time owner" fixed it with plywood. Not nicely dovetailed but hammered a piece of sheet over the bad corner. You would not see that with the trunk closed in a photo. So you have to look at those pre-wars a little more thoroughly for the money and it's difficult in some spaces. Rust is easier to spot(for me).
Discipline. If it doesn't meet your criteria don't buy even if a "deal". It's the old "be careful what you ask for you might get it" in this game. Don't rush in. Don't buy without inspection / number check and if you can't go where it is, pay for a prepurchase inspection. If it's listed as a "driver", that's too vague and a trap. It has to do all the drive functions, not just come out of the garage after hours of work to get it to start, or ran last time I had it out.
Check the price guides; CAAC, Hagerty, etc. ads; Hemmings, Old cars, PAC newsletter, etc. and search all the classic car sites and one will turn up. Alot of old timers are selling out and some reasonably.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
You're a high school special ed teacher. The license alone required at least four years of university-level education and, most likely, two or more years of graduate education. Performing that role and retaining employment requires continuing education and an extraordinary amount of patience and commitment to your profession. If you can do all of that, you can learn basic auto maintenance skills.

Remember, if you follow the advice thus far given, you will spend your money on a nice, driveable example of a pre-war Packard. You shouldn't face huge problems and you won't need to possess all of the skills of an ASE mechanic or body-man. Learn the basics to keep her humming along and know when to come here for a bit of advice.

Please don't throw in the towel. I'm 38 and this is becoming a lonely hobby as too many of my peers (mostly college educated, no less) are just too eager to say, "I can't learn...."

Posted on: 2016/2/23 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Here here! (I'm 34, and incidentally will be in Cleveland in a few weeks)

Posted on: 2016/2/23 22:35
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
What a great group of people here! I believe we are not trying to scare you, but to educate you. Guiding you in the direction of making an intelligent decision, not only with your heart but also with your head. All of us trying to give you a lifelong good experience. If it should happen something for you to remember your whole life as a wonderful experience.
Have patience, and put away those nickels and dimes.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 22:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved