Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What might this 1939 Packard 120 coupe sell for?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/120/1799211.html

While it's a beautiful and stylish Packard, I wouldn't get it because--if I remember what a forum member told me a while back--1939 was the first year Packard offered the shift on the column, which had linkage problems.

But, just for the heck of it and considering the specs of the car, what might it sell for? I know, I know, it's strictly guess-work, but just humor me and throw out a couple of figures.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:28
 Top  Print   

Re: What might this 1939 Packard 120 coupe sell for?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I wrote to the seller and the asking is $38000 Canadian or about $27000 US. I am sure it is negotiable to some extent also since this is a dealer. Nice car for the money. I wish our Canadian dollar hadn't tanked with the price of oil or I might be interested myself. I would go have a look at it for you if it wasn't 800 miles away in the same province.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:48

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't help on the price but if you find a 39 you like I wouldn't pass it up just because of the gearshift.

Believe the major gearshift parts and design are the same 39-42. Most of the first year troubles were due to Packard using rubber bushings at the various lever and rod connecting points that deteriorated and developed too much slop. Packard revised the connections with a change from the rubber to steel bushings and Issued a retrofit kit for the earlier models. If the car had the changes I believe most of the early problems were resolved and it will work as well as any of them.

None of Packards linkage was known for speed shifting abilities -- even postwars -- but if care is taken to move deliberately and thru the steps as many have suggested I think it would shift satisfactorily.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I was just driving my 39 120 this afternoon, using the original column shifter - still works great 76 years later. Plus the car has a lot more than 37,000 miles! If I was in the market for a third Packard, I'd jump on that coupe in a New York minute!
Even if if the shifter is sloppy, it's not hard to fix. Plus I like that one since it's the same color as my 4 door sedan!

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
As Howard and David said, not a big concern and a fairly easy fix if needed. Three on a tree is like riding a bike, you don't forget the technic no matter the slop. I actually prefer the column shift, but that's what I'm comfortable with. I'm sure you would quickly adapt. Nice looking Packard.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
About as nice as they come for this model and year. Benchmark it at the high end for future comparisons.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/23 22:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved