Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

29- 640 Club Sedan, dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brake cooling on a '39 Super 8- a possible solution
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
I am trying a ceramic coating on the outside of my brake drums. It is a gloss black heat dispersant coating. We have used this same coating on the head of a racing motorcycle and found that it is quite effective at cooling the engine. It is so effective that we now do not use it on air cooled barrels as it tends cause the cast iron barrel to not grow enough and can cause the pistons to "nip up" at the recommended clearances. Brad at Performance Coatings in Auburn WA. says that many people have done this on brake drums and report good results.

Since I have not driven my Packard since 1967 I will not really know how much difference it makes but if the cooling rate of hot exhaust pipes is any indication it will help a lot when going down hills in modern traffic.

YMMV,
Rick M
'39 Super 8

Posted on: 2016/3/16 12:12
 Top  Print   

Re: brake cooling on a '39 Super 8- a possible solution
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very interesting and worthy of learning more about it and ultimately some first-hand experience before and after.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm curious as to why you are concerned about brake cooling. Are you using the car on the race track? I drive my car a lot, including through the quite steep roads through Pennsylvania, and have never had a problem with brake fade due to overheating.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 7:25
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I drive my car a lot, including through the quite steep roads through Pennsylvania, and have never had a problem with brake fade due to overheating.

Well, then you have something rather unpleasant to look forward to experiencing in the future. Brake fade with drum brakes in repetitive hard braking situations is common enough and was so even when these vehicles were new, I suspect that most all who tour extensively in hilly country have experienced it to some degree at one time or another. On Henry Joy V in NJ on a long, steep grade we had a fair number of white knuckles and smoking brake linings both prewar and postwar, despite ample warnings to disengage overdrive before the hill and use a lower gear when descending. Ditto for the PAC National at Canandaigua in the Finger Lakes. If you took driving lessons before automatic transmissions became common you were probably taught "if you need a lower gear to ascend a hill, you need a lower gear to descend it". Still good advice today, perhaps even more so.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 8:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
I live in the West where what are called mountains in the East are foothills.

The City I live in is quite hilly, comparable to San Francisco where I grew up and last drove my Packard. Our Freeways typically often move at 70 or more.

Since drum brakes can and do fade and driving conditions are not what they were even in the 50's or 60's what with drivers used to modern anti-lock disk brakes will cut in front of you and slow down immediately I want every bit of advantage I can get.

I do not race my cars, and I do remember driving them in the 60's in California so I drive accordingly.

YMMV,
Rick

Posted on: 2016/3/28 13:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved