Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

r1lark, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1935 water pump leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You won't find a "new" casting, you're going to have to start contacting the Packard parts mongers to find a used pump or pump body. You might start by going thru the parts books and finding which years and models used the same pump and then contacting Kanters, Max Merritt, etc., but most if not all guys that would sell this pump as a rebuilt will require a rebuildable core which you don't have. If you don't have any luck there, then I'd suggest you go thru the PAC directory for members who have a car that uses the same pump, and just start calling them, hoping that one of them has a spare pump they're willing to sell.

It's a long, expensive process but cast iron can be repaired by welding. It requires the part to be heated first, then welded, and then cooled at a very gradual rate over a period of days or weeks. One place I know that does such repairs is Automotive Restorations on Rte 22 East in Lebanon, New Jersey. Ask for Steve. But it's not going to be inexpensive.

The crack in your casting was probably caused by some jackass tightening the packing nut when there was no packing present.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 23:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Still need to know exactly which model you are working on. First 3 digits of the serial number would be a good start. Then maybe someone here can fix you up with a pump, or a pump casting.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 23:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger Ennenga
See User information
I have a model 803
After that is a dash 1266, I know the 12 is for 12th series but what is the 66 for?
The crack around the bushing has been there for quite some time, its really rusted.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 6:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, the 12 in 1266 doesn't denote 12th series. The 803 decodes into the Eight chassis (320 ci engine) on the 127 inch wheelbase of the 12th series with the 5 passenger 4-door sedan body. The 1266 is simply the sequential production number of that body type. I don't recall the base number for the sequence for 1935, it was probably 10, meaning that your particular car is the 1266 - 10 or 1256th car with that chassis and body constructed to date.

Best of luck in finding another pump.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Per the parts book pg. 128, the waterpump fits 33-36 Super 8, and 35-36 Standard 8. My guess is there is one out there.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 9:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Could the crack be epoxed or JB-welded?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 21:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Not reliably. There's too much pressure exerted from the packing and packing nut.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 15:17
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved