Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

kevinpackard, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1924 Generator removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
My ammeter no longer shows any charging when engine is running at any RPM. I have tested only so far as to remove the ground from battery and this kills the engine. I presume my next step is removing the generator to send to a shop for rebuilding.

Here is my question. There are two bolts holding the generator drive end housing to the bronze plate and then to the chain case of the engine. (see photo) I have read to NOT remove the bronze plate. What is the correct technique for removing the generator but not the bronze plate? I see the two bolts, but what is at the hidden third position? A threadless positioning stud?
(see photo of a rebuilt generator, the third hole is at 4 o'clock position)

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

Seth Gartner
Charlotte, NC

Attach file:

jpg  (6.12 KB)
4135_5817a64d73246.jpg 200X183 px

jpg  (260.58 KB)
4135_5817a66bc7b17.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/10/31 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1924 Generator removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I see two NUTS, no bolts. To remove, remove all three nuts from their studs. Pull the generator (ONLY) rearwards while making sure not to withdraw the bronze plate with it. The plate has an arbor on it which is the axis for the generator gear. If that axis is withdrawn, the gear falls into the timing cover and becomes unmeshed with he timing chain, a very time consuming error.

Really simple to work on, should take you 10 minutes.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 15:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 3rd stud at the bottom is the pivot point, the other two are slotted to permit adjusting the slack on the timing chain.

And just to repeat to add emphasis, do NOT allow the bronze sleeve to move outward from the case.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 17:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
Thank you for the replies.

I stared at the generator this AM, still not sure how to approach the lower hidden nut. I ended up under the car and found a small access window in the pan below the generator located exactly at the unseen nut. It ended up being easy from that point on. Not a 10 minute job, but not impossible either.

Now I hope the reassembly will be as smooth.

See you again. I know I'll have more questions....

Seth Gartner
Charlotte, NC

Attach file:

jpg  (251.75 KB)
4135_58190d157ad19.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/11/1 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The fun starts when you try refit the bottom nut holding it with two fingers and then get it through that tiny window and onto the stud. I have enlarged the window for the lower stud on one of my cars.
Also I recently removed the generator from a 1930 740 as it was not charging and we needed the brass support plate so the generator could be set up for testing. (the brass plate provides the front bearing for the generator)
When the plate was removed the drive gear remained in mesh with the timing chain simply rolling down a tooth or two. When I reinstalled the plate it was not difficult to roll the gear on the chain back enough to slide onto the plate. Its not the first time I have done this and I have not had a problem, timing was not lost.
The Packard Service Manual (6th Series) under M485 refers to the brass plate as the "Generator sprocket support" and the instructions for renewing it simply state that it is removed with the generator and : "Install new sprocket support using new gasket, replace generator and tighten". So while it would be wise not to remove the plate unless necessary, it can be done with a little care without a problem.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 18:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved