Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Source For Valve Lash Measuring Tool For 359 Engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
The service manual shows a tool that drops in place of the hydraulic lifter to measure the clearance to the valve. Is there a source for this tool or an alternate method of determining that the clearance is within specification?

Posted on: 2016/11/18 16:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Source For Valve Lash Measuring Tool For 359 Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pacific Northwest Packardshttp://pnwpackards.com/styled-2/index.html It is the first item on their project page.

Posted on: 2016/11/18 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
Thanks Howard!

Posted on: 2016/11/20 17:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
I have ordered the valve lash tool and await its arrival. In the meantime, the tick I am getting sounds to be only 1 valve/lifter and does not occur at start up. It is only once the engine has some heat in it that the tick starts. It was suggested that I change from 30 wt. motor oil to 40 wt. (I live in Florida) but the change in viscosity made no difference. Oil pressure is good. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2016/12/1 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Either you have a bad lifter or a valve sticking in its guide. Spraying some liquid wrench or similar at the bottom of the guide should free up the valve. This usually occurs on cars that have been sitting a long while and are started on old varnish smelling gas.

Valve stem to lifter clearance will change only if the valve face and/or valve seat are machined. It will not get too large or small by just running. The symptom you are experiencing is caused by the failure of an individual lifter.
Either mechanical failure or dirt.

The easiest fix is to replace the faulty lifter, new ones are available with improved design. It is necessary to remove the head and the offending valve. If you have not identified which lifter, remove the valve covers and idle the car.
Either use a vacuum hose in your ear and put it next to each valve lifter or just touch the bottom of each valve spring.

To confirm your diagnosis place a feeler gauge between the lifter and valve stem while running, large enough to fill the gap and it will get quiet.

Remove the head, valve and offending lifter.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 11:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Possibly a speck of dirt stuck in the lifter check valve; might (small chance) work its way out over time. Also possible the lifter needs replacement. Any evidence of a sticking valve?

In any case chances are good that you're not doing any further harm by continuing to drive the car while you decide what if anything to do about it.

PS - Fred, beat me to it, you're a fast man on the keyboard!

Posted on: 2016/12/1 11:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If pressure is good and only one lifter is noisy then most likely a speck of dirt has gotten inside or else the lifter has a defective check valve. Have you been able to identify a specific area where the noisy lifter might be? Is there any damage to the small pigtail between the two oil ports on the drivers side of block? The oil fed into the upper hole above the oil sender is what supplies the lifter gallery. If the pigtail is damaged or partially crushed the flow could be restricted. The overall pressure could be good but the lifter pressure and flow could be a tad low. With only one noisy lifter it is doubtful that is the issue but if more than one then a possibility as another poster found a while back.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
Thanks guys. I will follow up on all suggestions and report back.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Have you received a fresh supply of 326 hydraulic lifters yet? Thanks Todd

Posted on: 2016/12/1 14:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved