Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Behind the doors at Kanter Auto Products. 3rd Floor Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I have had people ask in the past about what kind of parts that we have available for Packards. I thought it would be nice to give a walk through of our 3rd floor of our one warehouse. This floor is dedicated solely to Packard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ct2a9M0XI3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We have numerous amounts of parts both new and used and when I give tours I will jokingly say if we were to bring a frame and main body to 3rd floor of our building we could build a car. Then it is just the matter of getting it down once completed but in essence its the truth.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 15:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Behind the doors at Kanter Auto Products. 3rd Floor Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Half way in to the video at the next row about the third shelf up is that the switch for a 1947 back up light?
Wes

Posted on: 2017/1/18 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Reminds me of a quick question, is Kanter following up on production of gas tanks for several models? I would need a a tank for my 1940 Super.
Thanks

Posted on: 2017/1/18 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

jfrom@kanter wrote:
I have had people ask in the past about what kind of parts that we have available for Packards. I thought it would be nice to give a walk through of our 3rd floor of our one warehouse. This floor is dedicated solely to Packard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ct2a9M0XI3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We have numerous amounts of parts both new and used and when I give tours I will jokingly say if we were to bring a frame and main body to 3rd floor of our building we could build a car. Then it is just the matter of getting it down once completed but in essence its the truth.

Back in the 1970s, I thought I had a lot of Packard parts. Then I thought a friend of mine had a really serious, serious bunch of Packard parts that filled several garages. Then I met a guy out in the dsert who had hundreds of Packards and several buildings full of parts. But this... THIS makes everything I have ever seen pale in comparison. Just one word: WOW! Thanks for sharing... and inspiring.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
This tour was most impressive. Knowing that they're still there is comforting as we get older and the cars grow even older. Someday, they will hopefully go into the younger hands we consign our cars to.

Please reassure me that all those cardboard boxes, possibly oily and greasy parts and fabric covered wire stocks are protected from a fire by regulated and monitored overhead sprinkler system. I'd hate to see another Warren museum tragedy happen. It's also a very good idea to stay on the good side of local fire and police services when you have mountains of treasures like this.

In you own way, stuff looks organized and hopefully adequately inventoried. To think that this is the Packard floor and other makes have similar collections on other floors really boggles the imagination. Please promise me that you'll never willfully attend a Hoarder's Intervention; the hobby would never forgive you.

The late Bob Aller told stories of the St. Louis zone Distributer dumping truckloads of spare, unloved Packard parts into the Mississippi before it became illegal to do so. But like the cars that would disappear from thousands to dozens, the call for these items would make an accountant want to do the same thing. Thank you for the stubborn resolve to keep up with our needs.

I may have some nice 1952 wheel covers that need only center paint done. Let me know if I can help the limo project.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The 45,000 ftbuilding was built in 1880 and as it had over 200 employees operating as a silk mill it was sprinklered in about 1914 after the infamous Triangle
Shirtwaist fire in NYC. When we moved in in 1977 we upgraded the system with all new sprinkler heads. We have never thrown stuff away, we just pack the shelves more and more.

This 8800 sq ft floor is for our surplus slower moving stock. The shelves are organized by type of part; engine, lights, Ultraumatic, standard, whole engines, power windows heads etc etc. This inventory is not on the computer but all our Packard staff has a good idea of what we have and if needed they check the shelves and boxes.

We've never thrown stuff out except for obvious stuff like cracked blocks, bent chrome strips etc. But never has ended and we sold the building and have to move to our other warehouse which is 122,000 ft and full of other stuff and some Packard stuff. So after selling out of the building for 40 years we have been scrapping , so far about 45000#.

Knee action shocks that are not rebuildable, 41-56 taillights that are beyond hope, used window frames (had 100's, never sold any), used pistons and rods in excess of our needs, 1925-32 used backing plates and brake shoes. In the process we are discovering "hidden" items but sorry no 41-2 Senior taillight lenses but I did find a 55-56 Senior ignition switch bezel.

We have over 100 used engines and a few NOS 55 '320"V8's and many will go. I personally have been going top confession daily as I've committed the 11th commandment "Thou shall not throw away".

Other makes do not merit their own areas as for Packard we have "everything", our other stock is by lines ;fuel pumps and carbs (25,000 of each), water pumps, engine parts suspension parts, brakes etc. for US makes from Buick to Zephyr.

Sales of Packard parts is at its highest level except for the 100th anniversary year. After we're gone we're planning that our younger employees will carry on.

My father passed away in 2000 and he's got the Packard franchise up there, every week he sends an order fro parts, stone guards, double whitewalls, spotlights etc as nothing wears out. When you arrive you get a brand new V12 open car if you drove one on earth. If you didn't, sorry, you walk.

It's in our interest to stay in business as our father has twin '32 Twin Six Dietrich phaetons waiting for us with no accessories.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Well to plagiarize a little, "I love the smell of Packard parts anytime!"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

That looks like a fun place to play.
The last time the PAC meet was in South Bend, I got through what was left of SASCO Packard parts! I had fun.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I see a few parts that would fit my car....... John

Posted on: 2017/1/18 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The gas tank project will be done, takes time and$$

Posted on: 2017/1/18 23:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
so am I understanding you right that you sold your building and you are going through everything and throwing out the bad stuff and moving the good stuff to another warehouse? in preparation for what???? your passing??? please explain.

Posted on: 2017/1/19 0:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved