Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel supply
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi folks,

My '56 Clipper Deluxe runs great, it's a headturner when I pass by, the engine runs fine and oh what a power... .
It accelerates fast, in no time I drive 70mph... .

But... I found a small problem...

When I do not use the car more than 3 weeks the engine won't start because of no fuel supply. When I put a bit fuel directly into the carb the engine starts immediately, so ignition stuff will be fine.
I had a problem with a leaking fuel pump, so this is solved by installing a new Kanter fuel pump, no leaks anymore.

What could be the reason for loosing fuel supply? Does the carb needs a repair kit? Pressure loss in the fuel line?

Anyone an idea?

Thanks!!

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:10
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel supply
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Don't know, but odds are HH does. He's been on the spot on all my questions.

The reason for my reply is your description of the great performance you get in your 56 Clipper. Mine is nowhere close to that peppy. I have a 352 V-8. Do you?

Also, do you have a 2 or 4 bbl carb?

Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could, but when it comes to engines and related issues, bow to the wisdom of others.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
First, know that the float bowl is vented to atmosphere through passages and tubes in the air horn (float bowl cover) and into the air cleaner.

Unless you find evidence of fuel stains due to a leaking float bowl casting, then it is entirely possible for the fuel in the float bowl to evaporate completely over extended periods of non-use.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I do not use the car more than 3 weeks the engine won't start because of no fuel supply

Assuming your carburetor has no leaks, the reason is EVAPORATION.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Hey, guys, just how peppy is my Clipper supposed to be? I would not describe mine as peppy at all. It has a 352 w/2bbl. Should it feel like it has some "vroom" to it? Maybe be able to jump from a dead stop? Mine is just a mellow cruiser.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Your car was never one of the swiftest off of the starting line in accepted drag racing practise but, since I've had mine back on the road with the engine tuned, shifting points set correctly, etc. I have noticed that people who have never driven one of these cars without all of the emission controls, electronic wizardry and extemporaneous accessories that are habitually glommed onto modern vehicles seem to be amazed at its acceleration to desired driving speed and the ease with which one can exceed the posted speed limit without realising it. The most frequently asked question that I get from those who have never driven a full-sized 1950s/1960s passenger vehicle before is, "Did all of these cars have this much power?"

To me it seems a bit slow as compared to some of the other cars that I drove at the time, particularly with regard to the T/U transmission. If, however, you're used to driving modern, high performance automobiles the experience may be a bit different to you. A lot probably depends upon whether it has a two barrel or four barrel carb, how it's tuned, etc. Packards were generally designed as comfortable, "cruisers," but, in the standards of their day, they generally had more than adequate and, in some cases rather spectacular, power for the general driving purposes of their day.

Posted on: 2008/12/22 8:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

The engine is the 352 with 2BBL carb. Maybe it's because of the manual tranny. I'm not kicking the car but it feels good when shifting to 2nd @ 20mph and to 3rd @ 40mph.
I don't think I'm hurting the engine because the rpm of the engine doesn't feel that high, I think it can even faster.

I'm using our regular fuel ( unleaded 95 RON ) with an extra lead replacing additive.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/12/22 17:33
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
What's the name of the additive you use?

Posted on: 2008/12/22 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want it you can still purchase genuine tetraethyl lead as a solution in gasoline. I use it in my 56 Caribbean which is particulary octane-sensitive. If you want it, contact Jack Podell, he advertises regularly in Hemmings and elsewhere. But if you use it, note that it's very toxic, wear impermeable gloves, don't touch you skin, and wash up thoroughly afterwards.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 0:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved