Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Goddess of speed
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

MrBumble wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a pedestrian staring down a car barreling at him at 60 mph would have a lot more to be concerned about than getting scratched by a hood ornament!

True, but at 5 mph it could be important. I think the pedestrian safety styling mandates were aimed at low speed vehicle impacts with people. JWL

Posted on: 2017/7/29 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess the goddess ornaments with outstretched arms could do some damage but the ones I would want to watch out for would be the 55-56 senior models -- particularly the 55. Those are the proverbial sharp pointed objects. To top it off another thing Ralph Nader railed against was the steering wheels that could crush a chest. V8 Packards did fine in that dept too with the domed center emblem.

Posted on: 2017/7/29 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
A few things not covered in this discussion, but vital to the issue:

? There were numerous knock-off Packard radiator ornaments and hood ornaments over the years. Many of them were sold on the shelves of auto parts stores at least as recently as the 1970s-80s. And these were not merely the bird ornaments.

? Many of the ornaments found today were sold as motorcycle ornaments and even as bicycle ornaments. Whizzer Motorbike Company sold an entire line of fender ornaments-some of which were based right off of car ornaments, including Packard.

? For whatever reason, no one seems to know that many of the crystal ornaments that people think are all Lalique are not. Some were made by the Persons-Majestic Company (which also manufactured accessory radiator screens for Packards in the 1920s-30s. In fact, it was Persons (so I was told by a family descendent) that added the feature of illumination under the crystal ornament to work with headlights.

? Companies like Gem out of Illinois (I have several of their old catalogues) offered amazing numbers of ornaments-many of which were very similar to Packard.

? The so-called "donut pusher" (we always knew it as "donut chaser" in the days of Packard) indeed came in numerous forms forms and there were indeed several aftermarket versions, some with no arms. Some with lighted glass or plastic wings. And there was a series of donut chaser style ornaments made for bicycles... and they appeared in catalogues in the 1930s.

? RE: Earle C. Anthony and Packard ornaments... EC had several special accessory ornaments he personally promoted. One was the elaborate so-called "peacock ornament" that doubled as a radio antenna. There was also another cast peacock ornament. Some were done for special customers. Others were done only for his upper management of ECA, Inc. One of these was a cow standing on part of its own udder and howling with the statement "And you Think You've Got Troubles?" Yes, I still have the one I got from a top ECA man in the 1970s.

? As for pedestrians and whether or not they were worried about radiator ornaments or hood ornaments...NHTSA and other organizations pushed the auto industry on these issues, not so much pedestrians. And as one who worked in the auto industry all my life, I can assure you I've seen photos you don't want to see... regarding hood ornaments and what they can do to the human body. And not merely the pointy ones. There were plenty of very lethal ornaments to go around in the industry...for a lot of years.

Posted on: 2017/7/29 19:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved