Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Standard 8 fuel pump issue
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Hello- this is my first post. To start off, I want to thank everyone that contributes on here and the administrators for having a wealth of information available on these cars! I'm 42 and this is car #51 (besides a Packard, I've inherited my grandfather's love for a variety of vehicles). Forums for my older BMW's Mercedes's and other cars over the years have helped me IMMENSELY and so far in just a couple of weeks, so has this one with the archives and literature you make available.

1950 Packard Standard 8. Garaged it's whole life with only 23,xxx original documented miles. I inherited her from my grandfather and just started working on her. Everything is all original and after sitting for 10 years, she fired right up. So far I've dropped and cleaned the gas tank and rebuilt the carburetor. She idles and drives nicely. Yesterday I noticed that there was gas spitting out the side of the fuel pump (rectangular area in the section of the pump). Not all the time, just sporadically. I would think this is not normal?? If I get on it and drive her at full acceleration and cruising around, she eventually sputters out and dies. If I wait 3-5 mins, she'll start right back up and drive like nothing happened until it does it again after 5 mins or so of "regular"driving.

I'm thinking there is a bad diaphragm or gasket in the fuel pump somewhere? I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue or knows where to begin trouble shooting it before I pay $180 or so on a replacement pump.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (588.60 KB)
162931_597d95707c440.jpg 1920X1920 px

jpg  (396.42 KB)
162931_597d95fab2770.jpg 1920X1920 px

jpg  (422.13 KB)
162931_597d9605b787a.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/7/30 3:19
1950 Packard Standard 8- plain jane no options!
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Standard 8 fuel pump issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a beautiful original car, congratulations.

Yes, please deal with the fuel pump at once. If fuel is spitting out of the vent, then the diaphragm is breached and fuel will be spitting into the engine as well, thinning the oil.

I suggest you send your pump off to a rebuilder like Terrill Machine in TX or Gould. I do not find the money saved by buying a kit and doing it myself to be at all worth it. They are quite fiddly to assemble and the ones I get back from Terrill look liked they should be mounted on the mantlepiece for everyone to enjoy.

Post a picture of the pump before you send it off so we can be sure it is the right one. Many odd things happen over the years.

Posted on: 2017/7/30 7:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Zeke:

That's a fine-looking Packard you have and I encourage you to take the steps to preserving it's originality as much as possible. Just a comment on it's identification: you refer to it as Standard Eight but "Standard" in that context was not used by Packard since 1932. Properly, it's an Eight.

According to Bob Neal's superb reference book on the 22nd and 23rd series Packards, you vehicle number indicates your car was factory-renumbered from a left-over 23rd series 1949 car to a 1950 model.

When convenient, for my research file I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with the "theft-proof" number. That's the large, 6-digit number embossed into the cowl and a triangular bracket at each end. Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/7/30 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Zeke418

Welcome! What a lucky man you are to inherit such a fine original Packard. Also fortunate you inherited your grandfather's interest in a variety of cars.

Although your Standard Eight is in great condition, please consider starting a project blog in that forum section. It facilitates posting questions and finding answers later for reference. Its another of the wonderful benefits of this site.

Please also join a national Packard club and your local region, not only for the knowledgeable network of resources but also the companionship of other Packard folks. In my experience, they're a pretty fine group.

Welcome again!
Steve

Posted on: 2017/7/30 8:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good looking car, while your getting your fuel pump fixed, I would get a new set of battery cables and loose the green disconnect switch. A new correct gauge set of cables will make your life more enjoyable.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/7/30 19:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Quote:
According to Bob Neal's superb reference book on the 22nd and 23rd series Packards

Where or how can I find this book? Is there a .pdf somewhere, digital download etc.? I found it on amazon for $75, but can't bring myself to pay that for a book right now.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 0:18
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I can highly reccomend Arthur Gould, it's just over in Long Island. Not too far from Jersey!
Arthur Gould

Nice original car!

Posted on: 2017/7/31 3:23
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also can give very high marks to Arthur Gould Rebuilders, I've used them for both fuel and water pumps for many, many years with complete satisfaction. Of course Arthur himself is long gone from the scene.

http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/

Posted on: 2017/7/31 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Congrats on your grandfather's Packard Eight. She's a beauty and with only 22K miles, many smiles must lay ahead. And at age 42, you might, too. Three of my four sons are in their early 40s, and view my Packard collection as a curiousity. Only my 42 year old has his own collector gene lit, and it's for restoring really large Autocar trucks. I am still trying to expand his horizon. Somehow, he seems to like my 1950 Eight sedan (2392-5-29403 "not re-numbered") better than the two 1956 V8 hardtops. He says that the long straight eight is more familiar to his tastes.

My car looks much the same with its original cloth upholstery 95% still there. But with 59K miles, the California sun has taken a bit of a toll on some of the upper corners. A previous owner replaced the rubber front flooring in the past with proper carpeting from a nicer Deluxe sedan.

I fully agree with Ross about replacing those skinny battery cables with heavy duty "O" gauge....your starter will immediately notice the improvement with the 6 volt system. The fuel pump suggestions are also spot on. Gas thinned oil or even worse, an engine fire, is not what any grandfather would expect.

As with my two hardtops, the more I drive my 23rd series, the more Maybelle rewards me with good experiences. She almost always starts the first try if it hasn't been too long.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 10:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Thanks everyone for the input. I just went ahead and ordered a replacement fuel pump on line yesterday. It was $225, but considering the car was free and I've only invested $400 into it so far (new rear shocks, EASIEST shock replacement ever and rebuilt the carburetor). So I figured just go ahead and get a new one.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 0:41
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved