Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: crank shaft counterweight removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
What I did years ago, and cannot remember which engine this was for. Had a machine shop get a drill bit the same size as the outside of the bolt head, and then grind a smaller diameter to start the drill in the head and shaft of crank bolt. Make sure you label the weights as you take them off.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.71 KB)
733_5a2239ea0f0c1.jpg 512X512 px

Posted on: 2017/12/2 0:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Perhaps the motified drill idea can be expanded upon by having a left-hand drill modified. It would have the added benefit of trying to loosen the bolt at the same time. Yes, left-hand drills exist but not sure anymore of a source since, after decdes away from the machining trade (I am a journeyman prototype machinist), I've lost touch with suppliers. I recall right-hand drills with left-hand spirals but I've also used left hand drills.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 2:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
McMaster-Carr has left hand drill bits up to 1/2". MSC probably has them too. McMaster also has some counterbore bits in right hand sizes that are similar to the one shown above.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 9:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Milling is the best way to go. you can get them with heavy duty easy out but you will need to invest in several, these puppies are in there and they are deep. Once the heads are milled, the weight will come right off and the bolts can be removed by hand.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.32 KB)
17226_5a2493b5511d2.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2017/12/3 19:16
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Hello please allow that i warm up this old discussion. I am going to to the same job on my nine main bearing 356 cui engine. I need a adress where i could buy the screws for the counterweights. Or the exact shape/dimension to search in web shops. could somebody help me with his sources? or sell to me some screws? I live here in a metric world and it is not easy to find here something. thank you very much in advance for your help!! Josef

Attach file:

jpg  (58.68 KB)
161075_5bbf02ba09839.jpg 816X459 px

Posted on: 2018/10/11 2:57
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the bolts are ordinary socket head cap screws but I don't know the size. Once they are installed and welded the protruding head and welds are machined to match the counterweight profile. If someone does know the size the bolts can be bought from places like MSC or McMaster-Carrhttps://www.mcmaster.com/socket-head-cap-screws If no one can help with size, perhaps if you contact a vendor such as Kanter or Max Merritt they might have bolts or be able to examine a crank to find the size and obtain and ship them.

Attach file:

png  (6.27 KB)
209_5bbf7bf8a023e.png 126X50 px

Posted on: 2018/10/11 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If it's the same as a pack 12

They are 1/2-20. Length..3-1/2?..i would have to go out and get one...i bought many

Blevins would have them..

I was told to use green loc tight. And torque to 100 ft lbs..think that's a little high..

Attach file:

jpg  (155.19 KB)
4498_5bc179e99632f.jpg 1215X1240 px

Posted on: 2018/10/12 23:45
Riki
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
thank you Packard Lovers.
finaly i have found this screws in Germany too.( but it was not easy) MC Master Carr doesn?t want to ship to private european customer. Max Merrit stock was empty and they need one week to fill up. now i have bought them here:https://www.zollshop.de/
thank you again for your ideas, kind regards Josef

Posted on: 2018/11/2 3:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Josef,
I would be more than happy to become a middleman, ie: purchase and forward to Germany any like items that you find you need but can't locate in your locale. Hope this helps.
Regards
Steve

Posted on: 2018/11/2 13:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Hi Steve, thank you very much!! That is a great offer. I would like to ask you for help if i am under pressure like some weeks ago. The pressure comes because the engine was in the machine shop and the problem with the screws comes surprisely. I needed them quick because i was the reason for a " work traffic jam" in the machine shop. The work could not go ahead without the screws. Now everything is fine with the machining. Now i am looking for a used turn signal switch for the clipper. But this is realy not urgent. I have got all the time to search and buy. But for the urgent cases i will remember your offer to be my helper WIth kind regards, have a great day!! Josef

Posted on: 2018/11/5 3:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved