Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
21 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 21

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Back to the voltage regulator, the one I found along my spares will be a good candidate for a solid state conversion as it’s already in near-perfect cosmetic condition! Not sure why I didn’t think of that before as the one I was planning for the conversion is from the parts car and quite rough.

Posted on: 2021/10/22 17:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m going to my shop for the first couple weeks in December and hope to get the last two sections of insulation done. The first will be done the day after I get there, then everything moved (including many engines, Packard and otherwise) from the last section and it will be done two days before I leave.

In the meantime as far as car work is concerned, I need to remove the power antenna from the Patrician as it is stuck partially up and is hitting the car lift above. I have a custom tool that I made back on my machinist days for the nut, which works better and does not damage the chrome nut than s spanner. Problem is, I can’t find it so I want to order a standard spanner and have it waiting when I get there so any idea what the side hole diameter is? I seem to recall 1/8” but want to be sure.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 15:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'll be back at my shop tomorrow morning and am trying to find a photo that someone recently posted - probably Howard - showing the back side of a senior 1954 instrument cluster. I cannot locate the photo now so can someone point me to it or at least tell me how many instrument lights (less the turn signal and other indicators) there are? I want to try some LEDs while back there replacing the ignition switch with a rebuilt one.

Also, I am working on the solid state voltage regulator here at home but will likely have to design and fabricate my own board to fit the original Delco-Remy housing. It should not be too difficult, especially as I have a commercial one from another make to reverse engineer.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 14:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just have a speedo so not me for the 54 cluster photo. Someone else must have posted it but the 54 wiring diagram shows 4 general illumination lights and their approximate positions. Clipper cluster is cosmetically different but probably has the same overall lamp layout.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From the Parts List:

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 440.jpg (118.05 KB)
1_61a6802678392.jpg 2634X1110 px

Posted on: 2021/11/30 14:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Howard and Kev. Kev, I knew it was in the parts book but couldn't get it to come up in a search!

It is mainly the #55 bulbs that interest me so now I know although I've forgotten what color filter the shift indicator's #51 bulb uses and, as it's a tight fit, I may try a bulb that is already that color and hope it's not too bright! Since these are larger than the old bulbs, I am not sure if it will fit with the color filter in place.

Interesting that the first bulb on the list has no Mazda number but it is a #51. The Switch Light, if it means ignition switch, is a #55 according to the owner's manual.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 15:19
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
All the bulbs are clear. It's the various colored plastic lens/sheet that it filters through that determines the color shown for turn signals, shift position, and high beam indicator.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 15:46
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Kev, I know they are clear as they are standard #51 bulbs but with LEDs, you must use the color version or else it will be too bright and visually bleach out the color lens. I can't recall the color the shift indicator's lens is and I would need to know that before ordering an LED for it to try. Are there color lenses in the gauge lights too? If so, what color?

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:19
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
High Beam - Amber (could be red, but mine may be faded)
Turn Signals - Green
Ultramatic Shift Indicator - Green

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:21
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Kev. Do you recall what color the ignition light is or does the Clipper not have that one? From memory, I believe it is green but I'm not sure. Also, were there color filters for the instrument lamps?

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved