Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Has anyone found a place that has the fuel lines. I found a place that has the brake lines. I see that there is a rubber flex line from the pump to the fuel line, is it steel all the way back???? my fuel lines have been butchered with a aftermarket electric fuel pump and new style filter. i would like to go through the fuel system from the tank to the engine and make it original. Any suggestions on the process and stuff to watch for would be appreciated

Posted on: 2018/1/28 9:46

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel System
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can buy straight tubing at Napa or buy longer rolls. The tubing is the same as brake line, just larger diameter and the newer stuff is coated to make it more corrosion resistant. A tubing cutter and a flaring tool is all that is needed to make your own lines.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 9:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To answer your question, yes - the original fuel line was steel for it's entire length. For a replacement, you'll find the modern cupro-nickel alloy fuel line much easier to work with than steel - highly recommended.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Are the runs pretty straight ???? I have been searching for routes etc but can not seem to find anything.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 10:20

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
To answer your question, yes - the original fuel line was steel for it's entire length. For a replacement, you'll find the modern cupro-nickel alloy fuel line much easier to work with than steel - highly recommended.

Is it one line? no unions or joints?

Posted on: 2018/1/28 10:23

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is one continuous length. You can get a general idea of the routing here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=31&partslist=1948-1954&PlateNumber=103A

The original line, being steel, was hard to bend so was undoubtedly preformed and installed on the Left outer frame rail before the body and suspension parts were attached. Replacing it, I suspect you will find it somewhat difficult to lay in a new one piece fuel line in the front where it has intricate bends to thread thru under the L upper A arm and also go across the front crossmemeber under the radiator. It also needs to thread in above and, I believe below, some of the frame outriggers so with the body on that too will be difficult.

Using the more easily bent cupronickel product, it is not as bad but will still require some patience. You can start at the rear end and pull the tubing through most of the route before running into too much difficulty. Being easily bent it will be able to conform to the needed shapes although the final result may not look as pretty as the factory line. Use of a few shorter length commercially available steel pieces would help the situation. The tubing could be purchased in appropriate lengths, bent as needed and arranged so the couplings could be mostly hidden.

The rubber hose between the line and fuel pump is readily available in reproduction. One thing to check is the transition fitting at the end of the hard line where the hose connects below the radiator. If it is a plain inverted flare fitting on the tubing then easy but if it has the older soldered on fitting then that needs to be removed from the old line and transferred to the new.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wow thanks Howard.....i have a lot of time on my hands i think i will try and use the soft line and get it bent up and use it as a template. Then take it out and use it to bend the all steel in one run if possible (might have to have 1 joint) If it works maybe ill do 2 and use one for the car and one as a template for anyone's future use if they want.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 12:24

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi Howard, Transition fitting. I've always wondered about that and how it was connected to the steel line.
Thanks!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (189.10 KB)
1003_5a6e32694bacc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/1/28 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know when they stopped using the transition fitting and just went to a flare on the tube end which mated directly to the hose.. Looking at the year selection of repro rubber hoses might give some idea since the fitting changed on the hoses. It may have originally been brazed to the steel line but was able to use a torch to get mine off, cleaned the socket and then silver soldered it back onto the Cupro-Nickel tubing.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 16:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved