Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ULTRAMATIC OIL PAN GASKET
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Need oil pan gasket for 1956 twin ultramatic , modern materials.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 14:20
 Top  Print 

Re: ULTRAMATIC OIL PAN GASKET
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What's with the "modern materials"? Cork does the job just fine. I'm sure Kanter has them, so does Max, so does Ultramatic Dynamics.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 14:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No matter the gasket material use a straight edge to make sure sheet metal around the bolt holes in the pan are not deformed. If you find any not flush flatten or even depress the metal a bit on the gasket side so any raised hole doesn't prevent the gasket from having a good seal.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 15:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Yes, that's why I said that. My friend Lester Harris has some but they are over 60 years old and sitting in a hot warehouse where they are crumbly. Some things I do not want NOS along with gaskets that come in contact with oils and the gasoline we have today.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 18:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The pan gaskets you'll get today from any of the major Packard vendors will be fresh manufacture.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 18:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Posted on: 2018/2/13 20:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Best gasket...makes fiber gasket..

Posted on: 2018/2/14 2:54
Riki
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Also the Ultramatic shift quadrant is not lining up correctly, as you can't tell what gear you are in.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 14:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you have the pan off verify the manual valve operating lever is securely fastened to the shaft. While you are there also make sure the pin that connects the valve link to the lever is intact and secure in the holes at both ends. The threads in the pot meta lever strip and let the setscrew loosen so the lever and rear stop rotate on the shaft. There should be almost no play at the end of the outside lever as it rotates the shaft. Detents should be firm and again absolutely no slop one gear to the next. If you find a problem tighten the setscrew and nut as best you can but also drill the lever and shaft and install a 1/8" roll pin. Even if the lever is tight now it may be a good preventative measure to drill and pin anyway. The loosened setscrew is a known issue that will probably happen eventually.

If that part is good check the linkage for loose and worn pivots. Don't know if Hudson used the same lever and rod arrangement as Packard but there should be a bellcrank assy that converts the vertical rod movement from the shift column to the horizontal rod going to trans. On Packards there are some rubber bushings that can deteriorate along with loose mounting brackets which can let the bellcrank assy move resulting in lost motion.

If linkage is good then it is a matter of finding the adjustment from the shift tube inside column to whatever indicates on the Hudson dash. On Packards there is a rubber cover on the bottom of dash below the steering column which covers an assy that holds and works the indicator needle. That was a source of indicator error in Packards if the holding clamp became loose and allowed the needle assy to move.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does it still shift ok when you shift gears? Just the indicator is off?

I have that happen in my '54. In my case, there was a little hold down screw in the column under the indicator that had to loosen up and it was slipping causing the indicator not to move in sync with the shifter lever.

But I will let other more familiar with the V8 steering column comment further.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 15:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved