Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 interior woodgraining
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hello, again to all. I am to the point on my '37 120C where I need to touch up the paint and then polish everything out. While I'm waiting for good weather to do so, I am looking at the woodgraining on the dash and window frames. I have a woodgraining technique that I learned a couple of years ago, but the final product, to me, seems a bit too dark. All of the applique type of woodgraining materials on the internet that i've found contains a bit too much red, so, I was wondering if any of you might know of an alternative woodgraining product or technique that might not give me such a dark texture. What I have now is a light brown base coat and then use a dark brown rubber based printer's ink for the actual graining. Do you think that a lighter base coat might produce lighter results? My paint is Packard Cream, so the darker graining would look pretty good with that, but I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 10:34
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 interior woodgraining
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might give the people at GrainIthttp://www.woodgraining.com a call or check out the website and see what they can suggest. I used their Carpathian Elm burl along with a straight grain on the 47. There are 4 different base coat shades that are suggested with that pattern along with many others for the other patterns.

Looking at photos I sent of the original on the 47 they though the CE1 basecoat which is the darkest was best but as you can see from the paint chips and some of the finish photos, by changing the base coat a shade or two there are different effects.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 11:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is a photo of my formerly owned 115C Convertible Coupe's instrument panel. It is two-toned with the upper part being a solid dark brown and the lower portion being a dark wood grained. I don't know if this scheme holds for all models, but am providing it for your reference and consideration. Good luck! JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (48.36 KB)
565_5a8750b69b8dc.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2018/2/16 16:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Mr. Ambassador; Again I am in your debt. I will definitely check out that site, for I do not remember if I had looked at it earlier or not.
Home Away from Home: Thanks for the picture for that graining looks extremely close to what I experimented with on one of the pieces. I then do not think what I am doing will be too far off.
Again, thanks to you both for the information.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 14:37
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved