Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 238

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 55 Constellation Build
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Ross when i get down to my mother's house I will try what you said, just curious about the violence" you mentioned and the tool also. Is this tool a Packard only tool or will a universal brake adjusting tool for drums work. I don't have brake tools, I have a collection of general tools plus engine specific tools.

So the 'violence". What type of force, where and how are rusted drums broken loose. Please let me know because this will be a first for me. I got the elbow grease for it but not the know how.

As far as my engine I know I'm missing quite alot. I have most of the stuff that goes on the fire wall in my trunk...

Posted on: 2018/4/15 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
.... But not the engine parts, looks like some one was picking off this car for thiers. I'm very tight with money because I'm in the middle of purchasing my 1st home but I have sorced another engine but can't buy it. Well anyhow, I'm in no rush nor in despair I'm just happy to have the 55 in my possession and will be looking at the parts diagram to see what all I'm lacking..
Thanks for replying Ross and I'll be doing what you said on the engine, I like to use marvel mystery oil and you recommended pb blaster. Do you have any objection to MM oil or is it the same thing in your book?
Thanks
Ronnie

Posted on: 2018/4/15 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I prefer PB for that purpose as it is a penetrating oil. I have often heard acetone/atf touted as a wonder juice but when I mix some up it separates in short order.

You can use a screwdriver to turn the star wheels on the brake adjusters but it is difficult to get on them. A brake adjusting tool, or "spoon" is made for that purpose and will not cost much if you can find one. Likely a photo somewhere on google

Violence will consist of using a puller on the rear drums (there are MANY threads about this) and letting the shoes and what not come with them. Ugh.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 6:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
You can check Harbor Freight for brake tools. When I worked at our local store a couple of years ago, we had individual tools and a set for drum brakes that included the spring pliers, shoe retainer spring tool, and a couple of adjusting spoons. Not Snap-on quality, but should more than suffice for DIY'r.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 8:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
You can certainly find a break spoon at NAPA...Ernie

Posted on: 2018/4/16 9:28
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Many do's & Don't out there. You only get one chance to prevent damage and the internet is your friend.
Do not be afraid to do some disassembly if you have concerns.
I am reminded of the old Fram commercials, "You can pay me now- Or pay me later"...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/old-chevy-engine-been-sitting-to-start-or-not.462378/

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/199859-motor-been-sitting-10-years/

Posted on: 2018/4/16 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Everyone this should be enough info to keep me busy for a while. I appriciate everyone's input to get the 55 rooling again.
Ronnie

Posted on: 2018/4/16 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Stuck brake shoes can sometimes be released by removing the wheel, then tapping around the drum using a large rubber mallet such as the type used for setting tile. Sometimes a dead-blow plastic mallet works even better but they cost quite a bit more so start with the rubber mallet. Loosening the star adjuster first as outlined above may help.

But first, make sure that that's where the problem is. With both rear wheels off the ground, try rotating by hand. If stuck brakes, there should be virtually no wiggle at all but if something in the shifting linkage is out of adjustment, they will turn a little.

Posted on: 2018/4/17 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Worse case I ever had were totally worn shoes rusted to the drum. I actually chiseled off the back of the shoe retainer pins and was able to pull the bottom of the drum off with the shoes still inside, then lift and twist enough to get the springs loose enough to pull the entire assembly off.

Posted on: 2018/4/17 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks for the additional tips men!

Posted on: 2018/4/19 4:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved