Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interesting Packard taxi in Times Square, 1949
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
There is an interesting Kodachrome posted today on the Shorpy site today of a Packard taxi in Times Square. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attach it so here is the link if you are interested in seeing it.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/23240?size=_original#caption

Posted on: 2018/4/5 22:00
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Re: Interesting Packard taxi in Times Square, 1949
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Love those old Kodachromes, wonderful color saturation!, thanks for posting. I believe the opening rear window was a taxi-only feature. Likewise the rear luggage rack.

Attach file:

jpg  (151.55 KB)
177_5ac6e6914dcbc.jpg 980X683 px

jpg  (156.59 KB)
177_5ac6e698cbf62.jpg 980X657 px

Posted on: 2018/4/5 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
My pleasure and thanks for your post on the power rear window. I wasn't aware of that feature before. Wonder if anyone tried using it as a variable pitch high speed spoiler. Perhaps Guscha has some info.

Posted on: 2018/4/5 22:29
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Stephen

Thanks for posting the link to the complete photo, I had saved this partial image at one time which is only the cars on the street, hadn't seen it in context.

This glimpse of the era shows what serious competition Packard-Federal was up against when it came to selling taxis, there are a half dozen Desoto Sky-View cabs visible at just this moment.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (77.85 KB)
409_5ac76281e86e8.jpg 1024X521 px

Posted on: 2018/4/6 7:09
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks for posting the NY taxi picture. It is the best picture I have seen of one. I have the remains of one like the picture. Maybe this will inspire me to do something with it and start to assemble it. I am pretty sure I have all the pieces to complete the project.

Posted on: 2018/4/6 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yes, wonderful colors. -> That's the way to Kodachrome on Wikipedia.

Quote:
...Perhaps Gusha has some info...

Instead of information related to this swing-up mechanism I could deliver the story of a Soviet swing-down mechanism but I don't want to dilute the Packard topic.

Stephen & Dave (O_D), thanks for impressive pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.38 KB)
757_5ac7d777df54f.jpg 700X287 px

Posted on: 2018/4/6 15:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as mechanical durability/reliability goes, the DeSoto was a formidable competitor.

Posted on: 2018/4/6 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Here's another of a New York taxi in service which shows how rough most must have looked after a few years. DeSoto and Checker set the standards for tough, durable reliability. Taxis were a commercial market segment that most automakers gladly bypassed.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (28.82 KB)
409_5ac8b98e5a156.jpg 550X413 px

Posted on: 2018/4/7 7:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Taxis were a commercial market segment that most automakers gladly bypassed.

Steve (58L8134), is that true? I know that this segment is hotly contested in Germany for decades.

source: montrealtaxi.com
Click to enlarge, click again to enlarge again!

Attach file:

jpg  (174.29 KB)
757_5ac8c8b372475.jpg 1600X1071 px

Posted on: 2018/4/7 8:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Guscha

Automakers generally avoided the taxi segment because it was so cut-throat in pricing versus specifications. The vehicles had to have rough service components beyond what was supplied in general private sale vehicles and do so at fleet prices with little profit margin on relatively low volumes. Checkers and the Desoto Sky-Views were spec'd out to meet those requirements at fleet pricing.

Packard catalogued business sedans intended for the livery market, such as funeral coaches and company fleets for transporting important clients. The Harris Hill fleet would have been livery cars for upscale hotels, courtesy transport from the railroad station or airport, analogous to black town car service rather than the yellow/orange taxis plying the streets for fares.

Packards and other luxury cars in livery service were to provide courtesy transport by "The best hotels and other fine establishments to which gentlemen repair with no fear of embarrassment".

Steve

Posted on: 2018/4/8 7:59
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved