Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 252

JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

3rd Series Colour opinion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Friartuck
See User information
The vehicle is a 326 Runabout Roadster that has been in the family since the 1960's. I clearly remember being in the rumble seat at age 5 traveling up Ocean Avenue on the Jersey Shore. This "Salmon over Tuna" colour scheme is how my late father purchased the vehicle. At one point in my youth, he custom made a Hubley model of a 1930 Roadster in a similar colour scheme as a birthday present.

As I get closer to starting the ground up restoration, I'm thinking about colours. Best I can determine from literature (sales brochure), the 326 Runabout was only available in two tone grey with black fenders. Colour options became more plentiful starting with the fourth series and onward.

I know this is a loaded question, but worth asking of Packard enthusiasts. Which colour scheme should I consider? The Salmon over Tuna is not authentic, but is striking especially given the car model connection. I'll know more once I start stripping paint off the chassis and body, what the original colours were.

A. Keep the same Salmon over Tuna for the entire car
B. Salmon over Tuna for the body and black fenders to resemble original scheme.
C. Stay completely original, two tone grey with black fenders
D. Keep black fenders with two tone dark red/maroon scheme with saddle interior/top.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.46 KB)
2904_5ae1e106483bc.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (11.71 KB)
2904_5ae1e13b6e757.jpg 1383X588 px

jpg  (70.82 KB)
2904_5ae1e148127c9.jpg 971X693 px

jpg  (96.32 KB)
2904_5ae1e16866caa.jpg 939X876 px

Posted on: 2018/4/26 9:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 3rd Series Colour opinion
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
You have to ask yourself some honest questions.
1. Is it your desire to replicate the colors you knew as a boy?
2. Or do you want to restore the car to OEM specs?

In my VERY personal opinion I would lose the Salmon over Tuna combo. It detracts from the car. It is striking and not in a good way.

The colors selected by Packard were done with deliberation as to what the clientele of the era expected. So, the closer you stick to OEM, then the more value you bring back to the car.

If you don't like the OEM color choices, then look around at other Packards of that era from custom-bodied coachbuilders. Generally, anyone who ordered a custom-bodied car in that era had a refined sense of taste. You will notice that these cars were painted in rich color combinations that were very pleasing and signaled a timeless elegance.

Try to stay away from faddish color combos outside of the era of your Packard. Back in the disco era of the late 1970's there was a fad to paint a car body tan, fenders in chocolate brown with orange wheels. That color combo MAY have been on a Ford or Chevy in the 1930s, but unlikely on a Packard. That color combo on a Packard today would be very dated and detract from the value of the car.

Meanwhile, it is your car and I hope this helps in your decision process. All the best.

Posted on: 2018/4/26 10:59
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sentimentality is often quite costly.

I would put in a vote for the grey combo. It is underused and will serve to integrate all the lines of the car. I just painted a 1953 brand S in its original dark bluish grey and the viewing public is enthralled: "It looks so rich" "see how it shows off the sculpturing of the body" etc. etc.

Personally as a member of the occasional car show attending public, I am tired of red cars.

Posted on: 2018/4/26 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Color is such a personal choice however you have asked for an opinion so this is mine:

A Definitely not
B Definetly not
C My first choice
D Second choice

Am biased my 126 is grey and black with black interior and red wheels. If I was doing it again I would use a darker grey

Attach file:

jpg  (439.65 KB)
579_5ae2b4e5aa0d3.jpg 1920X1300 px

Posted on: 2018/4/27 0:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Friartuck
See User information
Does anyone have the actual color names for 3rd series six? I have a document that is illegible, but the words hint to Helliver Gray ??, and Partridge Drab?? There was also a Thrush Brown and Cocoa Brown.

UPDATE: Another document cites reference to Plymouth Gray and Pilgrim Gray for Touring and Runabout. Can anyone confirm?

Posted on: 2018/4/30 7:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved