Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

voltage regulator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
On my 34 1101 eight cylinder the amp guage was hardley charging (3-4 amp) and the battery will be run down after a long drive. Now it is not charging at all. I was looking at replacing the voltage regular but cant find one from Napa or Max Merritt does not have one. Does any one know where I can find a replacement as I am thinking that is the problem. when I charge the battery with a battery charger it will start for several times before the battery goes dead, I have already replaced the battery. The replacement for the regulator is #21262 Any help would be greatful.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 20:28
 Top  Print   

Re: voltage regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information

Posted on: 2018/5/29 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Packards of that era didn't have voltage regulators as such. The cube on top of the generator houses what is called a generator cut-out. Based on what I read here, I'm not at all confident that replacing the cut-out will solely correct the charging problem. I'd recommend to send the generator assembly out for diagnosis and probable rebuilding.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 21:47
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
jt34, I'm wondering if you really know much about your charging system, perhaps reading the owner's manual and service letters would be helpful to your enjoyment of your 34. Your OD-21262 is not a conventional generator control as Don has indicated, it's a cutout and rather primitive voltage control, the generator is a 3rd brush type and the owner manually adjusts the 3rd brush to give the amperage output he desires. Full generator control didn't come along for another 2/3 years.

Many of us that tour in these cars and don't drive at night purposely set the charging rate to 3-5 amps so we don't overcharge the battery. If you wanted a higher rate, you'd just turn the adjustment screw on the back of the case in the direction of rotation to increase charge rate.

However, now that you have no charging, you need to determine if it's the generator or cutout - open the 21262 and with the engine running at a good fast idle, push the points closed - if you now have charging the cutout is suspect and the generator may be OK, at least for the moment. When NAPA let it be known that they were discontinuing their direct replacement for the OD 21262, (NAPA/Echlin VR-755), many of us with 33/34 Packards bought up extras; you might try eBay as some of these may be becoming available again as the cars change hands. Your 21262 may be repairable, and alternately, you could have the 21262 converted to solid state full generator control, this would also require converting the generator from 3 to 2 brush operation, Jason at AER is one of several outfits that do this work, and you might also have him service the generator even if you stay with the 3rd brush operation.

If you remove the generator for rebuilding, make sure the brass adapter between the generator and the timing chain housing stays in place as you remove the generator - this will keep the drive sprockets in place. And after you reinstall, its a good time to check the free play on the timing chain and adjust if necessary.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.28 KB)
177_5b0e156b57150.jpg 418X743 px

Posted on: 2018/5/29 22:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
On the back side of the cut out relay where the thumb screw there is a fuse when I unscrew it all the way out.
To adjust the third brush can it be done with the generator on the car just by removing the band around the end of the generator.
Also when I get the points to close by pushing them down there is some charging according to the amp guage.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 19:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The third brush is adjusted via the slotted screw on the back face of the generator, NOT via removing the brush cover band. Yes, of course the adjustment can be done with the generator on the car, and normally done with the engine running so you can see the end result. Just stick a dime in the slot and turn clockwise to increase the output.

Since you see charging when you hold the cutout closed, obviously the generator is producing current. Was the fuse in the generator control good or blown?

Posted on: 2018/5/30 20:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
Yes the fuse was good

Posted on: 2018/5/31 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So......the obvious question: if you hold the cutout contacts closed, adjust the third brush for a higher charging rate and increase the engine speed, do you now realize a higher rate of charge?

Posted on: 2018/5/31 19:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
So now the generator is not charging when I hold the points closed, I can see some blue arcing from the generator when I hold them down and those rods on the bottom of the cut out getting really red. So guess I will need to have it checked out professionally to see what is going on.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 19:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved