Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Harmonic Balancer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I want to replace the front timing case seal where the crank exits the block. I pulled the balancer and timing chain case. I was surprised that the seal assembly has a slot in it for the key on the end of the crank, so the seal revolves with the crank. I was expecting something more like the rear seal on a trans.

Do I need to grease the seal where it rides on the inside of the timing case before I install it?

Also, my car has power steering but was not hooked up when I bought it. I have replaced some components and want to hook it back up. I am not sure where the belt travels, but I assume it goes around the fan and the balancer. But, my balancer has only one channel for a belt. Do I need to source another balancer for the PS belt?

Posted on: 2018/6/11 0:31
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: Harmonic Balancer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Soak the cork ring in oil for a bit after gluing it into the holder. Make certain that it will slide over the stub of the balancer assy, otherwise the balancer will push it away from the timing cover as you install the balancer and you have no seal at all.

Of course PS was not an option in 41 so without some photos we can not have an idea of what will be necessary to drive the PS pump. Some have driven it off of a second groove on the generator.

Posted on: 2018/6/11 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Sorry, I see I left out some critical information. I have a '41 and a '52. The '52 is a 250 convertible and this one has the PS option, but was not hooked up when I got the car. It looks like everything is there, the pump, control unit and the ram tube, but the HB has just one groove for a belt. I don't know how it was hooked up correctly, but I assume it ran off the balancer and fan. I have just one groove on the generator as well, but two on the fan pulley.

Posted on: 2018/6/12 1:11
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In that case you need the drive pulley that bolted to the front of the balancer. You will have to check with all the suppliers for that one as they are thin on the ground. All the info is in the parts book and the PS supplement to the 51-54 shop manual.

Posted on: 2018/6/12 6:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
You mention to soak this after gluing it onto the holder. I have attached a picture of the holder, as you were assuming a much earlier car at the time. This is probably the same. Assuming it is, what should I use to glue the cork sealer onto the holder?

Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (206.50 KB)
843_5b26b94a193d6.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2018/6/17 14:41
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gasket shellac will do the job.

Posted on: 2018/6/17 17:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved