Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

23rd Series clock light above the number 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...DUMB QUESTION, I am sure. I backed Miss Prudence out of the garage in the dark this morning and noticed a little tiny orange light above the 12 on the clock.

I don't think that I have noticed this light in the almost six years I have had the car. I can't find it in the owners manual.

Can one of you who is more knowledgeable than I, tell me what this little fellow does? I do note that it is coming on and turning off with the ignition switch. Thanks, Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 13:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series clock light above the number 12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The light above the 12 in the clock is the turn signal indicator. Does that work as it should? If wired per spec, the turn signal circuit would turn on and off with the ign key so if something is amiss with the flasher or turn signals that might be what is causing the light to illuminate.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 13:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hi-beam indicator?

Posted on: 2018/9/30 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the 23rd Series:

Hi-beam indicator is in the speedometer.

Directional indicator is in the clock.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Thanks for the information. I went out and tested the system. It appears that the light comes on with the ignition key to tell the driver that the system is active. It does not say much about my powers of observation for the last two years, that the system has been working properly!

If you move the stalk down, for a left turn, and both blinker lights are working, the little orange light blinks. By the same token if you move the stalk up for a right turn and both of the blinker lights are working, the little orange light blinks.

It seems as if the system is working as it should, but do you guys agree? Thanks, Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/9/30 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The light does not come on just to show you the system is active, the indicator light should blink when the directional signals, either left or right, are blinking. At no other time should it be illuminated.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 17:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have a factory TungSol flasher unit or one of the modern replacements? If the factory original it is almost like a relay so there is a mechanical contact for the indicator bulb and the light should not be on at all until the lever is moved and flashing starts. Moving the lever completes a ground path thru the signal bulbs to the flasher thermal element starting the relay action and signals working. Indicator will blink because the other isolated indicator bulb contact is also activated.

If you have a modern flasher most of them have a mechanical contact for the signal bulbs but a transistor works the indicator bulb. If one of those, it is possible the transistor is leaking and partially lighting the bulb.

It is also possible on either flasher there has been a high resistance short develop outside of the flasher unit between the incoming power wire or flasher terminal and the terminal or wire to the indicator bulb.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 18:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Thank you HH56. More to look into, however now I understand. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/9/30 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the difference between original and modern flashers along with just the turn signal circuit without any extra wiring getting in the way. The TungSol 229D flasher shown is the 20 - early 22 series version. 23rd - 56 is the same operation -- just different terminals and electrical requirements.

Attach file:

jpg  (232.83 KB)
209_5bb17dceef6c2.jpg 1920X1157 px

jpg  (37.77 KB)
209_5bb2f717d81eb.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2018/9/30 20:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Thank you, Howard...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/10/1 12:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved