Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

Ozstatman, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 temp sender new not working :-(
Just popping in
Just popping in

pistonfarmer
See User information
My original temp sender stopped working so I ordered a new one, the new one is also not working if I jump the wire to ground the gauge moves so I believe it is good not sure what is going on here? any ideas ?

Posted on: 2018/10/16 15:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 temp sender new not working :-(
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First question would be if it is the correct sender. If the gas gauge works, the instrument voltage regulator is OK and if temp gauge moves to the hot side when the wire is grounded then the wire and temp gauge are OK which only leaves the sender. Either it is not getting a good ground or else it is the wrong one.

A Napa TS6464 or Standard TS4 will work in the 51-6 models. If you have the correct sender then with it installed in the head use an ohmmeter and check your resistance values between ground and the terminal on the sender. DrewLA made some readings of the temp senders he installed in his car and posted them on site.

You can find the original thread if you do a search on the forum for the entire discussion but for convenience, here are his resistance findings.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.10 KB)
209_5bc65ca6b8a69.jpg 778X726 px

Posted on: 2018/10/16 16:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pistonfarmer
See User information
Well I hope its the right sender I purchased it from Max Meritt. I think the sender it self may not be getting a ground since I used a fair amount of sealer on the threads. Also I may need to flush out the head again. when I took the old sender out no fluid came rushing out like I expected I found that area packe with crud when I pushed a flat tip screw driver into it. I did this quickly as some coolant started to then flow I put in the new sender. but I will pull it back out clean it out well and see what I can make happen.

thank you!

Posted on: 2018/10/18 12:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Curious why you'd use thread sealer where you need to have an electrical ground? Install dry, the nature of the materials and threads will provide a leak-proof installation unless previously damaged.

Posted on: 2018/10/18 13:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pistonfarmer
See User information
i pulled it back out and ended up finding out it was the wire leading to the sender had a break in it a few inches back. Replaced it and all is right in the world agian.

Posted on: 2018/10/22 13:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved