Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 187

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Small export engine for 120?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm flabbergasted by something I stumbled across in the 1935-41 Parts List. It would suggest that Packard offered a "small" export engine for the 1935 120!!! There are several entries for it in Section 5 of the list, but for just 1 see page 142, right hand column under "CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY", part #303639, export engine 2-7/8" bore for 120, 120B. Also mentioned on page 140 under crankshaft, for 2-7/8" bore export engine for 120. There is a cylinder assembly listed for this engine, but curiously no 2-7/8 pistons. That bore with the stroke of the new 120 engine for 1935 would work out to about 201 cubic inches.

What the heck is this mysterious engine? Did it ever really exist? And if so, what happened to it? And if not, how did it get into the Parts List?

Posted on: 2018/10/30 9:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Small export engine for 120?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Owen...You have discovered a really interesting mystery. Hopefully, someone will know the answer or at least warm the trail...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/10/30 12:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Does it have anything to do with the fact that the 120A had a 256 CI and the 120B had a 282 CI engine?

Posted on: 2018/10/30 12:25
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BDC, I don't see any connection, both the 257 and 282 had 3-1/4" bores, the displacement difference was due to increased stroke.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

Interesting discovery, likely in preparation for the '35 120 introduction, plans were made to service the export market and its specific requirements as well. In the idea of a smaller bore engine for export, Packard wasn't alone. The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark, the Chrysler section beginning with 1933 details the Chrysler Wimbledon Six, page 318:

"Following it practice of selling a smaller or less expensive car in overseas markets Chrysler marketed what was in reality the model SD DeSoto in Great Britain. Although fitted with a small-bore export engine, the Chrysler Wimbledon was generally equipped with deluxe appointments such as dual fender-mounted spare tires."

Although it doesn't specify the initial engine displacement, later model year descriptions name the Plymouth 201.3 c.i. as the engine employed. English vehicle taxes were levied by horsepower ratings, perhaps the 201 met the functional requirements and tax limitations. Packard may have planned to conquest the British market with their 120 as did Chrysler with its Wimbledon Six. If such a plan was in place, Leonard Williams, Ltd. was possibly the driver behind it. When the 120 became the runaway success it did, plans for specific export equipment other than RHD were dropped. Sound plausible?

Steve

Posted on: 2018/10/30 16:09
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Steve;

Yes, completely plausible. But what really surprises is that in all the years since the introduction of the 120, nothing has ever surfaced about such an engine. Or have we all missed something?

Posted on: 2018/10/30 16:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
You don't miss what you aren't looking for. The small bore export 120 engine was just that. smaller displacement for whatever reason. Its been in the parts book forever...also, export cars almost universally were equipped with front sway bars, different springs and higher ratio rear ends...
No news here.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DAF, ar e you suggesting Packard actually built such an engine and installed it in export 120s? Is it mentioned in any 120 introductory literature? Or any specifications anywhere? What were the motor number assignments? What was the stroke and displacement?

Posted on: 2018/10/30 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Just a short note. The Model 'A' Fords that Henry sold in Great Brittan had smaller engines than the ones sold here...not too unusual perhaps...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/10/30 18:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Some countries, as I understand it, taxed a vehicle by its CC displacement so it would make sense that a smaller engine was made for those markets. If there was some displacement range it needed to be under, the smaller cylinders just might have done the trick.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 19:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved