Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Small export engine for 120?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks, Dave, I'll check it out.

Posted on: 2018/11/3 13:43
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One useful bit of information came today, the current owner of a 1935 120 export model originally delivered to and still in New Zealand reports that it has the standard 3-1/4" bore motor.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So I have my answer, the smaller bore 120 engine for certain export markets did exist, along with a companion smaller bore 115C engine, and thanks to Darrin180 for providing copies of British road tests on vehicles with these engines. The road test on the 120 says the motor is 73mm x 108mm, and 3.616 liters, and notes that it gave outstanding performance. That translates with a bit of rounding to 2-7/8 bore x 4-1/4" stroke, about 220 cubic inches. Quite interesting that the 1935 smaller bore export engine used what was to become the standard stroke for the 120 the following year.

An interesting question which remains now is which export markets received the smaller displacement/bore engines. All we know at this point is England yes, New Zealand no. For comparison, the British tax on the smaller bore 1935 120 was given as L20 5s, compared to L24 15s for a 1936 senior Eight sedan.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 13:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if there is any way to determine what is "outstanding" performance on the small engine as compared to the larger engine or were they comparing to some British cars of the day.

So if my understanding of how it worked and the conversion is correct, at 1935 rates there would be a difference of about 12 dollars in tax between the two engines. Is that correct?? If so, I guess in 1935 that was more substantial amount than it would seem today but what kind of other taxes were imposed. Was there a substantial price difference between the same model cars with the two engines so taxes on the purchase price also came into the mix.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What we know today about how Packard managed it's export business, and duties, taxation etc. at various destinations is pretty close to zero.

From "The Autocar" road test for the 1935 120:

From rest to 50 mph thru the gears, 13 seconds.
From rest to 70 mph thru the gears, 30 seconds.
Top speed standing mile, 84.91 mph.

For comparison, data for the 1934 Eight 1100 senior:

From rest to 50 mph thru the gears, 14 seconds.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 14:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved