Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

gtcoastie, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing Chain for 245 CID Six???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
The engine for my 1939 Six has been sitting at the rebuilders for a couple of months now... I finally got out of him today that his supplier cannot find a timing chain for the motor. I had volunteered my procurement assistance at the outset of this endeavour but the engine shop seemed proprietary about sourcing their own parts and, not wanting to step on any toes, I went along with them. Now the guy admits that 'HIS' guys have tried (including Kanters) and have struck out. Does anyone KNOW where I can, for sure, find a timing chain for this engine that I can get shipped Monday. I really want to make a point with this guy that the Packard community has reach, clout and knows where 'the bones are buried' when it comes to hard-to-find parts and come up with a chain. Anybody that can help, I owe them, that's for sure!!

Posted on: 2018/11/2 18:50
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing Chain for 245 CID Six???
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom in NH
See User information
Hope you replace the gears also.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am replacing EVERYTHING! New oversize pistons, ground crank, 10-over bearings, valves ground, the whole 9 yards - just need a timing chain to 'complete the order' and everything else is in stock.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kanter's current catalog shows availability of both the chain and gears. Did you check with them yourself, it's just a toll-free phone call?

Posted on: 2018/11/2 20:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Monday? I'll send one tomorrow, Saturday. Call me 8am , or tonite till 10pm, Dallas time to confirm destination....
DAF

Posted on: 2018/11/2 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you David (Flackmaster) for your help. Words fail me!
And Dave, (Owen Dyneto) I will be on the phone at 8:00AM Monday to see if Kanters does indeed have stock and then I will be calling the rebuild shop to have a conversation with them. I realize nothing is to be gained by getting on the wrong side of them, but I absolutely HATE being lied to. As previously stated, I availed myself to them at the onset of this rebuild, telling them I could help with anything they had trouble finding, and would scour the planet to come up with any of the hard-to-find stuff. They blew me off, saying they had a one-stop-source for all their classic rebuild components (in California, I believe) and could get everything from them. Now when I find the whole deal has been held up because of a timing chain (purportedly) I start to get cranky and feel the need to 'inspect what I expect' with the rebuilders. I'm sure lots of you Packard owners have been through this kind of situation before, and delays and hold-ups are part of the 'normal' process, and I get that. I just want straight answers, and for the rebuilder to be able to ask for, and accept help when he/his suppliers strike out! That's not too much to ask, is it?!?!?!

Posted on: 2018/11/3 12:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved