Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Nevada56Hudson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 clipper fender skirts
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I just restored old skirts for my Clipper.

How are you all attaching the skirts? I see it's a 5/16" bolt. Are you putting the bolt from the bottom to the top, with a wingnut on top? Vice versa? No wing nut?

What about the thin rubber strip to protect paint on bottom edge of fender? Is that 1/8" thick? I need to buy some and put it on.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 19:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 clipper fender skirts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the original material was a fabric anti squeak rather than rubber but could be in error on that. Also think it was stapled to top edge of skirt, not the fender. This is a cut from www.restorationspecialties.com showing their product. They also have a multitude of other items --clips, misc hard to find things, etc and is well worth a download of their catalog.

It sounds as if you are missing a capture nut as the holding bolt screws in from bottom into a welded nut on my car. Motor City Packards reproduces fender skirt nuts for 48-54 but one of the experts will have to tell you the differences--head size maybe-- since it isn't also mentioned for 55-6. The nice thing about a bolt as shown is the large head allows you to use the lug wrench to remove instead of looking for another wrench and SS or brass won't rust and break or tear the welded nut out when removing.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.33 KB)
209_4976a72a38783.jpg 526X230 px

jpg  (12.94 KB)
209_4976a734c4335.jpg 714X133 px

Posted on: 2009/1/20 23:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct, the original material was a woven welting and stapled to the skirt. Bolt in from the bottom to a welded and threaded piece above. I'm told the original bolts were sized to fit the lug wrench but can't verify.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
$20.00 for a pair of 5/16" stainless bolts and washers? Ha! They must think we're still in the bubble years.

I don't think I have the welded nuts on anymore. My 5/16" bolt just goes right through. I think I'll go with a wingnut.

As far as the woven material, I do remember removing all the staples. My intent is not to go back with staples. PITA for little to no benefit. I am thinking just some 1/16 weather-stripping tape. Any reason I shouldn't?

Posted on: 2009/1/21 16:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One reason you shouldn't is that it doesn't cost that much to do it correctly. The woven welting is dirt cheap, and you could glue or pop-rivet it instead of staples I suppose.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay, HH and Owen. I guess I want the woven stuff, but I don't know which are the dimensions. Do you know them?

Also, on my car, there is a channel (not a nut) welded on the inside of the bottom of the fender well. A 5/16" bolt goes all the way through. A 3/8" bolt will not. I've checked to see if the channel is threaded with the 3/8" bolt, and I used both coarse and fine threads. Neither of them threads into the channel or will go through. So, I don't know if this channel is supposed to be threaded, and if it is, what thread it would take. Any knowledge on that as well?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless someone steps up first with one already handy, I'll take mine off and measure material and try to get a picture of the nut arrangement this weekend. As mentioned, my nut appears welded on but will verify whether it is in some kind of channel.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Jeff, these fasteners are custom made, by Americans, making a living wage (but far from getting rich), these items are not commonly available from retail hardware suppliers, they are custom-made to be exactly what was used originally, so no loss of judging points. That kind of small market, attention to detail that isn't made in a third world country costs money.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 23:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
MrPB. Would you know the difference so the bolts are not listed as applicable for 55-6?

Posted on: 2009/1/22 23:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The nut is welded to the inside of the rear portion of the wheel opening on the '54 bodies.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.34 KB)
1_497954ddaef93.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2009/1/23 0:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved