Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 173

BigKev, Chuck McDonald, Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1939 Packard Six Brake Drum Specs
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Doing a complete brake overhaul on my 39 Packard Six. Looking for specifications on brake drum diameters for turning. Searched the web and this forum, noting has turned

Anyone know the turning specs?

Thanks in advance

john

Posted on: 2019/2/2 15:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Six Brake Drum Specs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge there were no standard specifications for limits on turning drums at that time. Try the Search tool and you'll find some prior discussion on the topic along with several "rules of thumb"; one general rule of the era was no more than 0.060" on the diameter.

Posted on: 2019/2/2 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Owen!

-john

Posted on: 2019/2/2 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi John,

Curious if the 'complete overhaul' includes new steel brake lines?? If so, were you able to find a kit and how huge a job is it? My '39 Six has what I believe are original lines. I have upgraded the brakes with new shoes, wheel cylinders, flexible brake hoses and master cylinder, but have not addressed the steel tubing. If it involves cutting, flaring and bending, I imagine it would turn into a pretty big job and might involve purchasing some specialty tools. Any advice??? If the existing steel lines are intact and not leaking, should one leave well-enough alone??? Thanks, Chris.

Posted on: 2019/2/2 19:33
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Chris- Don't know if ''tis will help. While lookin for parts for my 39 Six I ran across a site for Classic Tube listing brakeline replacement for the 38-39 Six.
I never followed up on specifics so I have no idea of price or availability.
Maybe someone else has dealt with them.
The prior owner had redone the brakes on my car so new lines were not a priority search.
Hope this helps.
RJR

Posted on: 2019/2/3 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks RJR. I checked Classic Tube's site and have contacted them re their stainless kit for my car. Going through their FAQ's, one jumped out at me, being: 'What is commonly thought to be least understood about engine plumbing?', with the answer being: 'The diameter of the tubing to determine the proper pressure and volume for fuel lines'. While unrelated to brakes, I am wondering what the 'correct' fuel line tubing is, to pair with Packard's diaphragm fuel pump?? I replaced the steel line on my car with 5/16" steel tubing. Now I'm not even sure what the original size WAS, as I may have gone a size up, thinking 'bigger is better' and possibly could have unwittingly created a problem. Anybody know???

Posted on: 2019/2/3 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:

While unrelated to brakes, I am wondering what the 'correct' fuel line tubing is, to pair with Packard's diaphragm fuel pump?? I replaced the steel line on my car with 5/16" steel tubing. Now I'm not even sure what the original size WAS, as I may have gone a size up, thinking 'bigger is better' and possibly could have unwittingly created a problem. Anybody know???

5/16" is the correct tubing size

Posted on: 2019/2/3 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've used Classic Tube on my '60s cars and they do good work although some of their templates are just plain wrong so ask questions and send photos of your originals first if possible. They insist that they use only original parts when programming their CNC tubing benders but I strongly suspect that for some they use homemade copies sent to them by customers as originals that are not even close to the stock shape. Not really their fault if they are told they are originals but still something to watch for. In one case, I had to get out my own tubing bender to make it fit but on another it was so different as to not be usable so I had to send them an original to have duplicated.

However, on very long pieces, they either coil it with instructions for straightening or cut it into sections to save on shipping. Over 8' lengths apparently require being trucked so the freight can be quite expensive.

Posted on: 2019/2/3 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you Brian (sometimes a guy just gets lucky!! LOL)
and thank you Don, I will definitely verify that the components Classic Tube says comes with their kit specific to my car are indeed, what I require.

Posted on: 2019/2/3 23:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
The kit does not include the steel lines. It has:

4 Wheel Brake Pads or Shoes and Linings
3 Hydraulic Hoses
Hardware (most models)
4 Wheel Cylinders or Calipers
1 Master Cylinder

I think the other members did a great job on supplying input. It would be an interesting task for certain
Good luck
John

Posted on: 2019/2/4 12:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved