Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spherical electric motor bushings
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark
See User information
Older electric motor assemblies commonly used spherically shaped bronze (ie, SAE 841/oilite) bushings to support both ends of the rotor assembly. The end plates or retainers are typically stamped steel pieces that cup the bushings to provide end location (versus a sleeve type bushing that is press fit in a bore).

This style bushing is certainly not exclusive to Packard components; it is, however, present in the power antenna motor and HVAC blower motor on a 54th series car.

Can anyone recall a convenient supplier? Obviously, they can be produced in quantity by the usual suspects overseas, but preference is to find a stateside supplier that will sell smaller quantities; this seems to be maddeningly difficult!

Thanks!
Mark

Posted on: 2019/2/10 20:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Spherical electric motor bushings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Did you try Precision Power, Lansing MI for rebuilding the motor?

Posted on: 2019/2/11 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you checked with MSC? I didn't check sizes but see they do have some plain bronze spherical bushings.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 12:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't see any of the regular small quantity retail places that sell bronze or oilite bushings in the spherical shape but there is a place in MA that does sell them. It might be worth a call to see if they deal in anything less than thousand piece quantities or maybe they could refer you to a dealer.http://www.lm-tarbell.com/sphericals.htm

If not an option McMaster sells spherical bearings in 1/4 and 5/16 shaft sizes which are used for swivel joints. Several are in the $7-10 range. The inner piece is the same shape but it is steel or ptfe lined steel and while I would expect they could handle a lot of movement, they do need lube so maybe not a good option for rotational shaft speeds in a motor environment -- even with a good prelube and periodic felt touchup. If it would work the inner part could be removed from the outer housing and might fit the motor cavity.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.49 KB)
209_5c61d279cf098.jpg 674X622 px

Posted on: 2019/2/11 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
When I was working bought a piece of stock from McMaster Carr or MSC and made this type of bushings size of id is hardest part of operation the out side sphere is not a critical part as the end cover and small spring section is to locate shaft and other end do the alignment. If you have friend with lathe they are easy to make with minimal of ability. Get 6 inch long piece of proper od I would guess 3/4 to 1 inch The cost for 6 inch long piece around $20 and you will have lifetime supply of material
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/61224044

Posted on: 2019/2/11 17:57
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark
See User information
Great leads! Thanks gentlemen!

Posted on: 2019/2/16 15:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved