Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 138

moodydavid16, DM37, HH56, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to remove torque converter
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Well, I ran out to the garage tonight and pulled the transmission off the 352. After I set the transmission off to the side, I see what I think to be a torque converter on the back of the block. I say this because I have never seen one like this. It has 30+ nuts around the circumfrence.

Forgive my ignorance, I know how to remove one on a Ford,GMC, and Chrysler but the Twin Ultramatic has me scratching my head! Before you say "Read the manual" I have read the whole section on the torque converter and it says zilch on how to remove it from the back of the engine.

Any instructions my Packard pals?

Posted on: 2009/1/26 23:47
 Top  Print   

Re: How to remove torque converter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Don,
You say that you already have the tranny removed from car but torque converter still attached to motor? If so look to front side of flywheel, between engine block and flywheel, you should see fron 3-5 nuts (as I couldn't count how many fron pic) holding converter onto flywheel. Remove these to remove T/C fron flywheel but before doing this there are two drain plugs on converter, remove to drain fluid and DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE PLUGS. BEFORE reinstalling tranny, put T/C onto tranny input shaft aligning the splines while pushing onto shaft, should feel when it is seated into internal pump. ease tranny into place while making sure T/C stays in place and guiding the bolt studs on T/C back into flywheel. Ease tranny further into place, should be access opening at bottom of housing to reach and replace nuts, probably will have to rotate flywheel to install them all, tighten and torque to specs ALL THE WHILE SUPPORTING REAR OF TRANNY.
Bill

ps:Be sure to keep rear of tranny supported when T/C is bolted in place keeping undue stress fron T/C until rear tranny support reinstalled.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2009/1/27 0:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If your engine's stuck you're gonna have to get creative on getting the top bolts loose from under the extended bellhousing. Also, the 30+ nuts and bolts are to allow you to separate the converter to replace the direct drive clutch, bushings, and gasket.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 1:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don, Here is url of tranny showing the four bolts that go through the flexplate. The picture of tranny is about half way down that group of entries. The nuts are removed as in Rowdy's explanations. If your engine is stuck you have some problems unbolting the convertor. Did you remove the engine and tranny as a unit? I didn't think you could remove the tranny without taking the convertor with it as it wouldn't move back far enough in the chassis??
Almost forgot - unbolt the lower casting (4 bolts) that also holds the starter to gain access to those four convertor bolts.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=205&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=80

Posted on: 2009/1/27 1:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, i had to undo the torque converter bolts too. the trans wouldn't move far enough back to drop out of the car for me.....how'd you do that....

Posted on: 2009/1/27 10:06
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you're planning a total rebuild with new bushings, hope you followed Rowdy's advise about supporting the transmission. The front bushing, pump shaft & associated areas are easily damaged and can cause a lot of grief later.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 10:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The front bushing, pump shaft & associated areas are easily damaged and can cause a lot of grief later.

Amen to that! Dan Kanter has always advised checking the flexplate for excessive runout which may have resulted from careless prior removal/installation. If the runout is excessive, you'll at the least make short work of your front bushing.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Some more info:

The engine/tranny combo I am talking about is the one I bought complete from someone locally. So they are both out of the car already.

My stuck engine is still in the Four Hundred.

I just unbolted the trans off the engine and pulled it straight off.

I don't see a flywheel, just the back of the torque converter and all the bolts that hold the converter together.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don, remove the bottom casting held on by four bolts. This is the casting that holds the starter and has a small inspection plate on the bottom. It is also doweled in so you have to work it off carefully. When that is removed you can see the flywheel/flexplate and you can also see the nuts that are on the inside of that flywheel.
I had read your blog but forgot about the extra engine/tranny you bought.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 12:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved