Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 123

John Sauser, BlackBeerd, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

trim molding clips - ID and Source
Just popping in
Just popping in

Trace
See User information
For my 47 21st series 7 passenger sedan, there is a narrow S/S trim molding that goes around the windows. Does anyone have a part number for the little steel clips or fasteners that hold this molding to the door (they go into the channel of the molding and then into holes in the door), or a source for NOS parts, or a contemporary replacement?

Posted on: 2020/1/29 8:57
 Top  Print 

Re: trim molding clips - ID and Source
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Trace:http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Here's a link to everything that you didn't know you needed until you bought a Packard.
The Catalog is $5.00 w/o an order or free if you order parts. The catalog is also better then the website in descriptions and pictures. Most of the MANY springs and clips that are shown are "actual size" for ease of making sure it's what you need. Hope this helps.

Regards
Steve F.

Posted on: 2020/1/29 12:01
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: trim molding clips - ID and Source
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did find a wire clip at Restoration Specialties that would work for most of the places but they were not identical to the originals. Restoration deals with obsolete and mostly Auveco aftermarket items so some clips might now be NLA from the time I bought mine so can't help with an actual number for the one I used. If you have an original clip, one of the nice things about the printed catalog is the clip illustrations are actual size and you can lay an original clip over an illustration to find a possible fit. There is also a PDF catalog you can download and print a page as needed but you need to be sure your printer is printing actual size to do the size comparison.

Most of the clips fit into holes with a space behind but the fastener at the very end of the molding is some kind of rivet like piece that needs to be flush with the inner sheetmetal and for that I could find nothing in the catalog that would work. I bought some barrel nuts from McMaster-Carr and modified the head of the female half to fit inside the molding. Attached the molding and modified barrel nut using the screw thru the door panel. Painting or filling the screw slot will make it blend in fairly well. I also used a larger but similar type screw and procedure to replace the rivets holding the steel inner mounting plate for the short strip of chrome belt molding that continues onto the trunk lid.

Attach file:

jpeg  (132.37 KB)
209_5e31cb79208e1.jpeg 1280X1008 px

jpg  (12.23 KB)
209_5e31cb830c716.jpg 532X368 px

Posted on: 2020/1/29 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved