Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Installing a RetroSound car radio in my 56 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone had replaced the old genuine radio by an 'new' retrostyled radio, placed one in a car which hadn't a radio at all?

When I bought my '56 Clipper there wasn't a radio in the car, the filler panel was still place covering the pre cut space for a radio.

Right now I have two possibilities: searching an genuine AM tube valve radio and be happy with some humming and rattling noises or installing a new 'retro like' radio.

I choose the 2nd way. So right now I found the retroSound Model One radio which has a modern radio function, USB port ( hidden in the glove box ) and a frontal 1/8" aux in terminal. See for examples at www.retrosoundusa.com .

Does anyone of you knows this radio? Is it a good radio?
Sound quality? Which facia plate do I need to fit in my Clipper?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Thanks !

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/2/15 18:05
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing a RetroSound car radio in my 56 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I doubt you're going to find a radio and face plate that just fits right in without either looking the added part or worse, requires you to modify the holes due to the spacing and narrow height of the stock opening. If you've decided against stock, another option although probably more expensive, is to get the correct radio head and then have it retrofitted with modern AM-FM electronics. Some even offer the option of iPod or satellite radio. You might possibly not need the power unit that way, and just mount a speaker in the normal places. Here's a couple more options.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/
http://www.bobsradio.com/

This place has an interesting product called secret audio that might work in the space.
http://www.vintagecarradio.com

EDIT That's a nice looking radio you picked out but looks a bit high and narrow. Looks like adjustable spacing width on knobs though & some nice features. Does European broadcast use same frequencies as US? Packard measurements appear to be 195mm knob spacing, face opening 143mm wide and 50mm high.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I installed a modern radio inside the glove box on my car. This way I can close the glove box and the radio is not visible. A remote attached to the steering wheel helps a lot, since reaching over to the passenger side of the car is kind of dangerous while driving.

The Becker Mexico is a sweet radio and nav system
http://www.mybecker.com/deDE/CAR+INFOTAINMENT-Mexico+7948-Ueberblick.html

but is DIN format, and would not fit in the dash. As far as speakers, I have 5.25 inch rounds in the kick panels and 6x9 oval speakers in the back window shelf. The packards have plenty of room for running wires and installing radios and equipment.
-Tobs

Posted on: 2009/2/16 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Try Custom Auto Sound. They make radios that are modified to fit specific makes so you don't have to cut your dash. We sell them for our 1958-66 T-birds.

http://www.casmfg.com/index.htm

Posted on: 2009/2/16 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am assuming all of these retrofits are for 12 volt negative ground vehicles. My original radio works but unfortunately the only AM radio station within 200 miles is gone so only static until night time. I have been considering discretely installing a modern 12 Volt radio in the glove box. Has anyone used one of the 6 + ground volt to 12 volt - ground converters sold on Ebay etc.?

Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have one of those 6V pos to 12V neg and it works just fine. Powers my modern AM/FM/CD radio with no problem but just remember they can only handle about 4 amps which is fine unless you have 10 speakers and these 2 ft sub woofers

Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Phils38cpe, I have one also which is wired into my cigar lighter and powers my GPS. It is only rated for 3-4 amps so I am unsure if it will be adequate. I guess it depends on te radio and speakers as you mentioned.

Guscha, I have a 12volt to 120volt converters also to power my shaver etc. Works great.
I reemember having a Becker Mexico radio in my '79 Mercedes 450SL but obviously not the same unit except in name.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and the videos.

I've got an email from RetrousoundUSA, they'll have a matching facia for the Model One radio at the end of this month, so the installation in a Packard 55/56 of this radio must be a piece of cake.
The spacing between the shafts of the radio is the advantage of the Model One, the distance can be adjusted with the infinimount bracket as wished.

I have to wait some weeks right now... .

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/2/16 17:17
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keep us posted. I would be very curious to see what they come up with for the faceplate. None of the examples they show for other cars would appear wide enough to fill the opening without covering or modifying the existing chrome rim, I might take a plunge too if it looks decent and doesn't require any mods.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Secret Audio shows an option of 6 volt positive ground.
This just might be what alot of us have been looking for !
Has anyone purchased one of these with the 6 volt option?
Feedback on it ?
RT

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved