Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 240

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Installing a RetroSound car radio in my 56 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
If interested here is one more possibility.
vintageautoradio.com
They take your original radio head and install all new update internals with 4 amps and AM/FM for that original look.
Bill

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Sometime in the early 90s somone made an AM-FM cassette deck that fit the dash opening of a '55-'57 Chevy and early Mustang, the world beat a path to his doorstep. I don't know if what you have is basically that idea, with all of the CD/MP3/Ipod capibility built in.
Whatever you do, select something that doesn't require hacking up the dash (IP) and can be un-done.

Can the 6 x 9s be mounted in the package shelf without an OE grille giving them away? don't like to see those on a car that obviously didn't come with same.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just wondered if you had heard any more on the faceplate Retrosound was going to have end of Feb or what you decided to do..

Posted on: 2009/3/7 22:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

Yes, I got news from RetroSound. They have the new dash bezel on stock, I'm going to order the radio in the USA. When the radio is installed I will make a few pics and will post them here.
Just one other problem... the speakers... see new topic.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:02
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
A Custom auto sound radio will fit your 56 Packard. they have the info. ie measurements on file. I just received a radio from them that was custom built to fit my 55 Constellation. First try it fits like a glove in the original opening no mods. the style even looks original with push buttons. The model I ordered USA-630. Phone # 800-888-8637. www.custom-autosound.com

John Miller

Posted on: 2009/3/9 21:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hey John,

Looks fine.
Thanks for the weblink.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:15
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
New Item,
Just going over my newest edition of SDC magazing and saw this new add, might check it out.
www.rediscoveradio.com
This might be what we are searching for.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 23:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I purchased a 6volt positive ground unit for my '50 Custom Sedan and it does what they say it will.

Pros:
.. I don't need to convert to 12 volt.
.. I don't have to hide a modern radio.
.. I don't need a 6->12 volt converter.
.. The dashboard remains totally stock.
.. Easily removable without a trace.
.. It works.

Cons:
.. It sounds like a 1950 Packard AM radio (well... it would, wouldn't it).

I just plug my iPod into the input cable which is routed into the glove box (didn't even require any new holes) and tune to around 10.00 on the dial and I have music, audio book, whatever. I mounted the unit to the back of the radio where there is ample room for it. I just wanted something to listen to other than the non-stop political crap, religious programming or programs in not-English that are all I can get on local AM radio. I wasn't looking for a 7.1 Surround Sound system with ear shattering bass.

Thanks for the tip Rowdy.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.44 KB)
188_4a1d74c61b5a9.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2009/5/27 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
You're welcome,
Bought one myself and put it in my 56 Exec and glad I did. I play an FM tuner through it with Oldies station and sounds like 1956 again and like you said, don't need all them amps for the old sound. Also when we take long trips my wife likes movies so I play the DVD player through it too, great!!!

Posted on: 2009/5/27 12:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi guys,

Wow, it's a while ago being online... .

So, time for an update on this topic !!

The Retrosound radio has been installed, it matched very good in the dash panel. So far so good !
Powering up the radio and tuning a station... Great sound !! Connecting an USB stick to the lead in the glovebox, it opens the folders and plays a wonderful sound... !!!

But... When I fired up the engine... it became a disaster; whining sound, sparkles in the sound, drop outs in the USB play until completely crashing of the USB playback.

I've tried a lot of things to eliminate this disastrous noise, extra capacitors, heavier powercables to the radio, better groundings, extra ground at the electrical retractable antenna and at the ignition coil, suppression capacitors, ... nothing helped...

Yesterday, a friend came to help me adjusting the ignition timing and we also changed the spark plugs, because they weren't changed when I bought the car.
The originals in the car were CHAMPIONs NI6YC, when removed they were in a good looking shape, not burnt or broken or glazed.
Anyway, we replaced them with a set of 8 plugs ordered at Kanter USA: GM AC ACNITER R45NS.

When we finalised our service intervention I put on the radio..., it gave a crystal clear sound !! No sparks, no whining, but a clear sound and the USB works fantastic !!!

So, conclusion:

Ignition noise in the radio can be solved with a set of new spark plugs !!!

Great !!!!!!

Grtz,

Xavier

Attach file:

jpg  (129.16 KB)
809_4bce1ed2f2fc3.jpg 1280X856 px

Posted on: 2010/4/20 16:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved