Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

didatelogg, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1951 300 Fabric Fender Splashers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah, it's correct. I also seem to recall that it's stapled to the metal panel, at least in some years. You might consider attaching by trying to duplicate the staples as Randy Berger did on a small item for me by using very fine wire, cut, inserted and bent over just like the staple. Makes a great little detail that just speaks volumes about your attention to detail and authenticity.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 12:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder what year they stopped doing that. My '54 has no fabric, nor does it have any staple holes. Perhaps '53? That seams to be the first major change in the body style.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 13:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There's a completely original and stock 1954 Cavalier around the corner. I'll run over and take a look at advise.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 13:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Perhaps '53?
Believe you're right. 51-2 has one number & there is a different part # for inner pieces for 53-4.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 13:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, thanks I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2009/2/20 14:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, ran up the street to look at the original 54 Cavalier. No flexible mudguard affixed to the right front (removeable) inner fender panel, and none on the other side either. W/O looking at the parts book don't know what this means for the entire 54 line as the Cavalier was sort of a hybrid, replacing the former 300 but with the Packard name and a Clipper engine.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Hi, I used some rubberized canvas I got from Restoration specialities & supply.Looked just like the original.(Well what was left of it.) Brian

Posted on: 2009/2/20 15:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dale 51
See User information
Gentlemen:
Thank you all for your interest and suggestions. This is by far the most responsive and helpful site I have found for resolving restoration problems. Thanks to each of you.

Yes, these are original, factory installed splashers. I am the second owner and familiar with the car since 1958. I have had it for 33 years. They are stapled to the fender panels. The staples are about the gauge of large, heavy duty paper clips. They do cover the "top of the A". And they have a circular hole cut on each side to access the two top grease fittings. The backing looks more like it is bonded to the material than sprayed. But it is 58 years old.

Brian, I went to the RSSI website and searched for rubberized canvas. I got four hits, but no material that I could identify. Can you give me any specifics on the material you found.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 22:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dale 51
See User information
Brian, I went to the RSSI website and searched for rubberized canvas. I got four hits, but no material that I could identify. Can you give me any specifics on the material you found.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 22:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dale 51
See User information
I will try to get a photo posted soon.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 22:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved