Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Crossed to the Darkside....
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There has never been anything "dark" about Mac as far as I'm concerned. I've been on Mac practically my whole computer life. Started out with the tiny SE and kept moving up from there. It has alway seemed much easier to use and understand than the PCs, so I never even considered buying a PC. I am currently using a Mac Pro with a dual quad processor and 30-inch monitor. Almost all my applications are Adobe, but I do have Microsoft Office.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 10:57
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Started out with the tiny SE

I spent many years on the screamin' fast (for the time) SE 30. That model actually saw quite a bit of use as a server.

Quote:
--they didn't sell well. At the time, they were about the coolest and yet expensive (and limited) computer you could buy in the consumer market.

HH56, I thought they should have given it more time and improvements before abandoning it. But Mac often made some "boutique" machines, with the intent of producing limited numbers, like the "black Mac" etc. The internals of the Cube are basically PowerBook, so you can get the same upgrades as you could for that laptop. 256 MB RAM is max, and the processor is now considered an excruciatingly slow 450 MHz (at the time considered "supercomputer" speed).

I got mine from a dealer who did not have one on the shelf. I specifically requested a Cube and they had a demo in its original box, which I got at somewhat less than new cost, although it was considered new--never sold. Got a good deal on it and a 14" flat monitor. Also, it came with a spiffy lexan clear keyboard with black keys, which unfortunately got a liquid bath and is now a relic in my basement.

I would like to have a disk burner instead of read-only, but that's one option the one I got didn't have, and $250 is a lot of dough for an internal burner.

Thanks for your interest in the Cube and all things Mac.

Eric, I sent your cartoon to my brother's brother-in-law who has worked as an engineer at Apple for around 20 years. I hope he gets a laugh... I sure did.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:30
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
HAHA. My wife uses a Mac as she does alot of design stuff. I haven't taken the leap yet, but your all helping me feel better about it.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.29 KB)
633_49a1b9c561f26.jpg 300X486 px

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I have not gone the Mac Route, BUT I did leave Bill Gates behind.

I now run Linux (Ubuntu 8) on my HP Laptop (After its third meltdown on XP in 3 years). I also run Ubuntu on an AMD desktop that my son and I built years ago. One antique Dell still runs a very slow on arthritic Xp. (It's an old Dell with no reasonable memory expansion options).

PInfo looks great on Firefox and Linux.

DanL
'Leinux'

Posted on: 2009/2/24 13:44
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
FYI, Ubuntu runs fine on a mac...

Posted on: 2009/2/24 18:26
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
FYI, Ubuntu runs fine on a mac...

EVERYTHING runs fine on a Mac!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 4:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I repaired computer equipment from main frame Honeywell to PC's and mac equipment much of my life. For the home market I have always been a PC fan. The main complaint I have regarding Mac computers is the cost of the upgrades. For instance 10 years ago a hard drive for a PC was around $100.00. For Mac the same hard drive manufactured by the same company was around $350. Same drive, three times the price. There would be some dumb little change in the hardware instituted by Mac that would make the drive unique and preclude anyone from using the $100 version. I understand that Mac is more friendly today than they were. I always felt that if Mac didn't change it's ways it would go the way of the Sony Betamax. It almost did hence the change in policy regarding compatability of peripherals. The Mac/PC discussion goes on and on. I'll stick with the PC.

Does anyone remember the Z80 and CP/M and CP/M-86 operating systems? CP/M was superior to DOS at the time. IBM had the chance to use CP/M in their new PC's with 8088 processor but shined them on on favor of Microsoft. Big mistake in my opinion. Anyone heard of the CP/M based Cromemco computer?

Posted on: 2009/2/25 13:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What language are you guys speaking in? It looks like English yet I don't understand any of it.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You guys are ALL wrong! Commodore 64 is the ONLY way to go!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
You guys are ALL wrong! Commodore 64 is the ONLY way to go!

Yea, Worked on a few of those too. What a great computer.LOL

Actually in the time and for the money it was a great start. How about the Timex Sinclair 1000 ? There is still a working Sinclair around here somewhere complete with the memory expansion module. Did you ever work on your Sinclair 1000 for hours writing a great program in Basic only to loose it all because the memory module moved a little and wiped everything out. How about that cassette backup system?

Posted on: 2009/2/25 15:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved