Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 Packard Heater & Low Mileage (29K) Survivor
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Kelch heater, or similar to one?

Looks like there is a electrically driven blower motor on the can surrounding the exhaust manifold.

https://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1934-packard-1105-5-7-passenger-sedan/

Posted on: 2020/5/31 8:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 34 Packard Heater & Low Mileage (29K) Survivor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not quite the same layout as the unit in the 34 Packard accessory book but looks like the same principle.

Interesting that version seems to have not been concerned with blowing engine fumes into the passenger compartment. Hard to say if the accessory book version might be drawing from inside the vehicle but if not, at least it looks to be farther away from the engine. I would have thought there would have been another duct going somewhere to bring fresh air to the blower inlet rather than collect it from next to the engine.

It was bad enough in the later cars with their heater and fresh air vent intakes lined up to collect the exhaust stream from the car in front but guess drivers then were made of sterner stuff. In that car for sale photo it must have made for quite the experience if something leaked or someone carelessly dropped oil on the manifold. Of course, I guess it would not be too much worse than a horse doing its business in front of a buggy.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.08 KB)
209_5ed3bc7b094e7.jpg 1300X466 px

Posted on: 2020/5/31 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That car has well over 29,000 miles on it. It wasn't uncommon for those cars to run over 8,000 miles per month when they were new. Just look at the engine. That car has a zillion miles on it.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 11:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, thats a correct Kelch installation, my '34 1100 also has a Kelch and I've got many photographs of Kelch installations in Packards, Pierces, Cadillacs, etc; in a period of low-boiling alcohol antifreezes they were the premium heater, see my article on Kelch heaters in a back issue of The Packard Cormorant. The last Kelch installation I'm aware of is in a 1939 Packard Twelve. The heat exchanger tube assembly in Kelches was constructed of stainless steel or monel to eliminate exhaust gas leakage.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 11:42
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved