Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 125

Daniel Leininger, Ross, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Paint combinations and possible fake Body Tag?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
I was spending some time reading through the brochure info for paint and upholstery options for the'55 Clipper Custom, and I noticed the info on my tag on my '55 Clipper Custom 4 door sedan doesn't match the combinations listed in this book:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_1_Paint.pdf

So my tag (picture below) states PAINT: LG TRIM: 40

Based on the book these codes are Moonstone and Turquoise paint and Charcoal flame tapestry cloth and white vinyl upholstery.

The book (at least how I'm reading it, apologies if I'm just not getting it) shows no option for this upholstery for that paint combo. In fact it shows no mark for this color combo on a Custom 4 door sedan at all (again, how I'm reading it).

Which makes me wonder if my tag has been recreated or is fake? I don't know why someone would go through the trouble. I have some original documentation showing the serial number as matching, but I wonder if someone chose their own color combo and upholstery choices there?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  (213.55 KB)
222607_5fd7b19930bd0.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/12/14 13:45
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Paint combinations and possible fake Body Tag?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Your tag is spot welded onto the door post and is most certainly correct.

You need to look at the right side of the chart for 2 tone paint options on Clipper and Packard models and note the asterisk which shows the combinations as reversible between roof and body.
The chart shows the GL combination for interior trim 40 which matches you LG combination when reversed.

Posted on: 2020/12/14 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You beat me to it! As a reversible combination, the chart shows it only one way but it was reversed on your car. My 1956 Clipper Custom was one of those too as I recall.

Posted on: 2020/12/14 15:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Thank you both! I see now where I was making a mistake. Rather than reading the document just left to right I was expecting the document to be read backwards as well, so I was reading the line "Moonstone and Turquoise" when in fact the combos listed are just a list of combos, some marked as "reversible". So when I check the line for color G (moonstone) on the left instead, I see trim 40 is available and has an X, allowing for any color combo of Moonstone listed on the right, with an asterisk denoting reversibility.

Ok, now it all makes sense. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2020/12/14 15:31
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved