Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 252

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

best brake drum paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
should i just use high performance caliper paint or high temp engine paint. i noticed that the paint on my rear drums is VERY durable and doesn't come off very easily.

so, what is the best stuff to use that i can get locally.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/8 14:01
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: best brake drum paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Seems like people have been painting brake drums (and rotors) for as long as there have been wheels that left them exposed (like Cragar mags), but I've only noticed special paints available for drums, rotors and calipers in recent years. Painting hasn't always been to make them factory correct, though; I've seen some fluorescent colours used. To each, their own - I guess.

VHT makes a specialized paint for that purpose, but I don't know if a product like that is necessary for drums, especially when hidden by the stock wheels.

I'd think a high-quality spray-on engine enamel would work just as well on brake drums, but surface preparation will be more of a factor in achieving good adhesion and durability.

For years, I've painted drums and rotors with nothing more than thinned down RustOleum (and before that, whatever black automotive paint I had on hand). I applied it by brush, but tried to avoid getting a heavy build-up of paint that might interfere with heat transfer. All I did for surface prep was wire-brush 'em by hand, then rinse with aerosol brake cleaner, and let dry. I might have had to touch 'em up a little whenever I had the tires off for other work, many miles later.

Yet, since the OE drums on the Packard V8s have a formed steel web between the friction ring and the hub, you might want to use a compatible primer or something else to give a little "tooth" for the paint.

Perhaps others will chime in with details of their experience in this area.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
As for me I use POR 15 in either satin, or gloss and it wears like Iron.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I have also been using POR-15, with a top coat of Eastwood's satin chassis black. You can accidentally hit it with a hammer and it won't chip

Posted on: 2009/3/8 16:57
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Its been said before but deserves emphasis! If the car is to be driven more than just on and off a trailer, keep the paint layer THIN, it interferes with heat disapation.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
no trailers here, it will be driven. i think i am going to use the engine paint like i did on the backing paint, but only one layer.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 19:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved