Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1956 400 Ultramatic Transmission Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Nahh. I'm sorry but that looks like a 1955 lever arm to me. These drop-forged parts (at least the ones I had and the final-spec ones I got from Packard Dealer Frost & French years ago) were not dead straight. The 1956 arms I had were almost always painted bronze with a curve in them. The final-spec 1956 senior selector lever arms are not plentiful.

And who knows what else was mixed in when this car was changed away from Pushbuttons? 1955 and 1956 Packards (and don't forget to add in 1955 and 1956 Clippers) may look similar but there are so many changes and it can be deadly not to know these changes intimately. This may seem like a simple swap, but it just SEEMS like a simple swap.

My feeling is that It's always better to repair what you've got because usually when people start doing mix 'n match, there is wayyyy more to go wrong. AND then three times as much work to either figure out what is wrong, why and then how to fix it. OR... how to put it back. Many of these cars are "swapped over" and then put up for sale. So nobody knows the level of the swap-over until it is either a pleasant surprise or a nasty surprise.

Few out there can do these kinds of swap-overs successfully with no tears. And pity the poor subsequent owners–even the ones who have notes of what the guy before thinks he did. And in today's jargon "upgrades" often don't really mean UPGRADES, but rather customized changes that could be anything. The language of today's auto talk is FOG. One of the scariest phrases ever heard can be "re-built Ultramatic changed over from Pushbutton Shift to 'reliable manual lever!'" Uh-ohh...

Posted on: 2021/2/25 20:51
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew M
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Nahh. I'm sorry but that looks like a 1955 lever arm to me. These drop-forged parts (at least the ones I had and the ones I got from Packard Dealer Frost & French years ago) were not dead straight. The the 1956 arms I had were almost always painted bronze with a curve in them. The 1956 senior selector lever arms are not plentiful.

And who knows what else was mixed in when this car was changed away from Pushbuttons? 1955 and 1956 Packards (and don't forget to add in 1955 and 1956 Clippers) may look similar but there are so many changes and it can be deadly not to know these changes intimately. This may seem like a simple swap, but it just SEEMS like a simple swap.

My feeling is that It's always better to repair what you've got because usually when people start doing mix 'n match, there is wayyyy more to go wrong. AND then three times as much work to either figure out what is wrong, why and then how to fix it. OR... how to put it back. Many of these cars are "swapped over" and then put up for sale. So nobody knows the level of the swap-over until it is either a pleasant surprise or nasty surprise.

Few out there can do these kinds of swap-overs successfully with no tears. And pity the poor subsequent owners–even the ones who have notes of what the guy before thinks he did. One of the scariest phrases ever heard can be "re-built Ultramatic changed over from Pushbutton Shift to "reliable manual lever!" Uh-ohh...

Do you have a picture of what a 56 one looks like?

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Sorry, but no pictures of the arms handy. But whoever robbed me in 2002 got a box full of the 1956 arms.

Somewhere I have old paper photos I took back in the 1970s of the two arms laying side-by-side. But where those photos are right now? Who knows? I have bins full of paper photos... thousands... from 60 years + and mostly unsorted.

But surely someone else out there knows this stuff and can show you a final-spec 1956 Ultramatic shifter arm made for a senior Packard that was originally equipped from the factory with manual selector lever?

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:16
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew M
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Sorry, but no pictures of the arms handy. But whoever robbed me in 2002 got a box full of the 1956 arms.

Somewhere I have old paper photos I took back in the 1970s of the two arms laying side-by-side. But where those photos are right now? Who knows? I have bins full of paper photos... from 60 years + and mostly unsorted.

But surely someone else out there knows this stuff and can show you a 1956 Ultramatic shifter arm made for a senior Packard that was originally equipped from the factory with manual selector lever?

Here are two I found on ebay. Do either of these look correct?

1956 Packard Automatic Trans Outer Lever for Manual Control Valve, NOS, #6480732

1956 Packard Ultramatic Outer Manual Valve Lever 6480732 NOS

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The lever in the photo resembles the revised 55 lever as shown in the illustration accompanying the report of the rod issue in Service Counselor Vol 30 #1. The lever in the parts book plate 33 identifies the trans as a 56 and typical of 55. It shows a slight curve to the lever. Being there is a different part number for 56 Leeedy is correct -- there is a difference in levers and for that I apologize for not paying more attention to the differences and catching that.

The question would be did the entire column and linkage get transferred from a 56 parts car to make the conversion or was it pieced together. If you have a 56 column then everything might have been transferred intact except for the lever which might be sitting on on of the other transmissions if an extra came with the car. If parts are intermixed then I would agree with Leeedy that it can be a problem to adjust things. With the change in angle between the revised 55 and the 56 levers appearing to be fairly small there might be enough adjustment to firmly get in all gear positions. Does the lever move in equal steps with a distinct detent felt at each gear position N,H,D,L,R when going from neutral to reverse and back again?

Once you verify the trans is going into each selection completely you might be able to adjust the indicator to read properly by moving the clamp for the pointer which is under the rubber cover on the column. If you cannot get it to read properly then most likely an adjustment is at an extreme probably because of a mismatch in linkage.

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Andrew M wrote:
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:

Somewhere I have old paper photos I took back in the 1970s of the two arms laying side-by-side. But where those photos are right now? Who knows? I have bins full of paper photos... from 60 years + and mostly unsorted.

But surely someone else out there knows this stuff and can show you a 1956 Ultramatic shifter arm made for a senior Packard that was originally equipped from the factory with manual selector lever?

1956 Packard Automatic Trans Outer Lever for Manual Control Valve, NOS, #6480732

Nope. The parts numbers may be somewhere from 1956–perhaps when they printed lists. But these are the 1955 style. Dead straight.

The ones I used and remember vividly were curved, not straight–no matter what the parts books or part numbers might say. And I had a Packard engineer back in the 1970s tell me why they changed the design.

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:50
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew M
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The lever in the photo resembles the revised 55 lever as shown in the illustration accompanying the report of the rod issue in Service Counselor Vol 30 #1. The lever in the parts book plate 33 identifies the trans as a 56 and typical of 55. It shows a slight curve to the lever. Being there is a different part number for 56 Leeedy is correct -- there is a difference in levers and for that I apologize for not paying more attention to the differences and catching that.

The question would be did the entire column and linkage get transferred from a 56 parts car to make the conversion or was it pieced together. If you have a 56 column then everything might have been transferred intact except for the lever which might be sitting on on of the other transmissions if an extra came with the car. If parts are intermixed then I would agree with Leeedy that it can be a problem to adjust things. With the change in angle between the revised 55 and the 56 levers appearing to be fairly small there might be enough adjustment to firmly get in all gear positions. Does the lever move in equal steps with a distinct detent felt at each gear position N,H,D,L,R when going from neutral to reverse and back again?

Once you verify the trans is going into each selection completely you might be able to adjust the indicator to read properly by moving the clamp for the pointer which is under the rubber cover on the column. If you cannot get it to read properly then most likely an adjustment is at an extreme probably because of a mismatch in linkage.

Yes, there is a distinct feel when moving the shifter through N,H,D,L,R. The indicator itself on the dash is only off by maybe half a indicator letter at max.

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:50
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew M
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Quote:

Andrew M wrote:
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:

Nope. The parts numbers may be somewhere from 1956–perhaps when they printed lists. But these are the 1955 style. Dead straight.

The ones I used and remember vividly were curved, not straight–no matter what the parts books or part numbers might say. And I had a Packard engineer back in the 1970s tell me why they changed the design.

Maybe someone will be able to find a picture. The one on the car looks to have an inward curve towards the transmission if looking at it from the front of the car to the back. When looking at it from the side of the car it looks straight. I'm not sure if the column is a 55 or 56. How can you tell the difference? I have all of the factory push button parts. It might be easier to convert it back if I can't get it figured out this way.

Posted on: 2021/2/25 21:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I can help you there!

Attach file:

jpg  Pushbutton unit.jpg (101.58 KB)
129_60391581cd640.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2021/2/26 10:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Problem solved! Mr. Pushbutton is the King of the Thing!

There is really no substitute for doing it right. Putting your Packard back to the way the factory built it with Mr. Pushbutton's help is the best way to get rid of all the guessing and guesswork and bogus circumventions and wasted time and angst and headaches. Now you can make your Four Hundred and its Ultramatic reliably do what it was intended to do.

Posted on: 2021/2/26 13:49
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved