Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939:Packard ....née wire harness creates issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I will be rewiring my 39 six convertible coupe shortly. I purchased a complete Rhode Island harness from Flack before things went off the rails( Thanks Dave). I have the Wiring diagram from the Service manual and actually bought a large scale color diagram which helps.
Here is my problem and hopefully someone has encountered the same issue and came up with an answer.
The wiring diagram is simple and items under the dash grab power from the head light switch .
My switch appear to be the early switch shown at Figure 40 of the owners manual( Page 22} since it has fuses which run parallel to the switch body.

The Rhode Island harness has paper tags on each wire end directing to what they are to connect.
This should be simple but the instruction tags reference terminals on the switch by numbers
On what would be the passenger side of the switch I can three( 3 ) terminals with numbers on the diagram in Figure 40....from front to back...5, 4, 2
On the driver side I see 5 terminals numbered from the front as 11,10, 9, 7.. and un identified.
I see no other numbers and The harness suggests attaching a wire to terminal10 which is listed as not to be used.
Does anyone see other numbers....and am I reading the diagram correctly.
Hopefully someone has dealt with this

Any help appreciarted
thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2021/3/29 21:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939:Packard ....née wire harness creates issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I notice on page 22 of the 38-39 service manual wire colors are shown that are supposed to go on each terminal of the switch. Would that be of help instead of numbers?

Posted on: 2021/3/29 22:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
That is part of what I am doing ....in addition to trying to compare photos of the old wires removed from the switch .
I have blown up that diagram on my iPad and have been able to identify terminal 12. In the top of the unit near the knob....and I think number 1 is on the end near the passenger side fuse.
I have not found Number 3
The Rhode Island harness does not identify where the wires to the switch go....although they provide that info for the ammeter , starter switch and ignition.
Would prefer to figure it out before installing the dash rather than trying to do it on my back and. Upside down.
Hope someone else has done this harness.

Posted on: 2021/3/29 23:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't offer much since I have never seen an RI harness to be familiar with their labeling method. Do they use their own number designation or are the numbers referring to the individual wire runs as Packard listed in the factory diagram?

You mentioned using the wiring diagram from the service manual. My version of that diagram is somewhat blurry and gets worse when enlarged. The same diagram is in Service Letter Vol12 #18 and seems to be of much better scan quality. Wonder if it would display any clearer on your iPad.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL12NO18.pdf

Posted on: 2021/3/30 10:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved