Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tappet too tight in bore?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi folks,

The slow and much delayed process to re-assemble my '53 327 5-main/hydraulic lifter engine began in earnest today, after some delay caused by issues with new valve guides. I got those in and everything is fine there, and hand-lapped the new valves against the newly machined seats to make sure everything is fine there.

Now, I get the engine on it's side and start to insert the tappets back in their bores. I had the tappets lightly refaced by the local machine shop. Now I put them back in their bores and I find that, for about 12 of the 16 tappets, they don't go all the way down, some of them hit what feels like a "hard stop" just at the point they would emerge from the other side, whereas about 4 go all the way down. I tried different tappets in different bores and it seems an issue with the bores, not the tappets, because I switch tappets and the problem stays with the tappets not the bores. I am not sure how this could have happened, as these are the original tappets, and again it doesn't seem to be a problem with the tappets, it seems to be a problem with 12 (out of 16) tappet bores. For a few of the problem bores, it seems I could get the tappets to go in a little more if I apply some pressure while twisting, but eventually they just get stuck.

Any ideas? I have coated the tappets themselves with Redline Assembly Lube while I had been regularly coating the block with WD-40 to keep it from rusting. Maybe there is varnish in the tappet bores? Should I use something like Carburetor Cleaner on the bores?

Thanks in advance,

Jerome

Posted on: 2021/4/24 23:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Tappet too tight in bore?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The edges of your tappet bores probably got smacked whilst the valve guides were being driven out. You will have to deburr them with a small file or a deburring tool.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 7:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Tappet too tight in bore?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thank you, Ross! That worked!

Posted on: 2021/4/25 15:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved